keyboard error or keyboard not present message.

baucis 22:58 24 Aug 2007

Has anyone got an answer for this problem? I noticed a computer on my network was showing the blue shutdown screen for no reason. 10 minutes later I realised it had frozen and I had to physically turn it off as the proper shut down procedures wouldn't work. On trying to reboot the black DOS screen displayed the above message. Typically, it told me to press F1 to continue. How is that going to work if the keyboard is not present? I unplugged the USB keyboard and it works in another computer. So what is the problem here? Running XP Home, SP2 with all updates, hardware firewall, F-Secure and no recent system changes

woodchip 23:03 24 Aug 2007

Turn the Computer off at the Wall Plug, Then press and hold the start button for about 30 Seconds. Plug the Keyboard back in then try starting the Computer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:14 24 Aug 2007

you may need to buy / borrow a PS" keyboard and ensure that USB legacy for DOS is enabled in the BIOS.

You may have lost your BOS settings possibly ue to flat CMOS battery depening on the age of your PC nd wther you leave in plugged into the mains at all times.

woodchip 23:34 24 Aug 2007

You could also try a PS2 Keyboard if it as a socket From About £4

lotvic 23:51 24 Aug 2007

Please what is the significance of leaving it plugged into mains at all times? Does that mean pc on all the time or pc off but wall plug on? and how does it affect the CMOS battery?

woodchip 23:55 24 Aug 2007

Battery go's flat faster if Computer is not plugged into the mains

woodchip 23:57 24 Aug 2007

PS when you turn the Comp on it takes over from CMOS battery, to keep time and settings. So the battery as a rest

lotvic 00:18 26 Aug 2007

Ahh of course,
thanks woodchip

baucis 23:58 30 Aug 2007

Plugging in a PS2 keyboard worked fine, curiously, shutting down and reverting to the original USB keyboard and rebooting also worked! Looking in control panel at installed MS updates there were five which were downloaded on the Sunday when the computer froze. Perhaps they had something to do with the problem.

Thanks to everyone.

woodchip 00:02 31 Aug 2007

That's why my XP computers are, Updates set to Manual. I get them When I want

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?