keyboard button makes my pc crash?

patso 19:58 09 Feb 2009

there is a button on the top right hand side of my keyboard.it has a half moon crescent logo on it.if you press it the pc crashes and goes to blue screen and memory dump,any idea why this happens and what can i do to fix it,also what is this button for,i tried googling the q and also helproom search,hence the post,thanks

Technotiger 20:03 09 Feb 2009

The Moon emblem indicates that it is a Sleep button. I have it on my keyboard too, but I never use it. I suggest you never use it, just ignore it.

Technotiger 20:06 09 Feb 2009

Or if you really want to, you could got to Start>Control Panel>Keyboard and look at the Keyboard Settings tab.

patso 20:08 09 Feb 2009

Thanks for replying so quick guys,can i disable this button so as if its hit accidently nothing will happen

jack 20:10 09 Feb 2009

Do any of us use them?
I have several keyboards both 'Branded and unbranded
eacj has their set of Xtra buttons- for all sorts of tasks Never use any of them
Never even been curious about them
How many do you use?

patso 20:14 09 Feb 2009

iuse just the basic ones for typing.just looking for a handy hint,is there a way to stop the blue screen of death when this button is hit?thanks

AL47 20:14 09 Feb 2009

i have a media centre button on my dell laptop,

it boots into a linux [i think] partition really quick for dvd/music pplayback without the OS loaded

Technotiger 20:35 09 Feb 2009

If you go to Start>Control Panel>Keyboard you might find a way to Disable that key. I say 'might' because I have just looked at my own Settings and that key is not even listed!

patso 20:47 09 Feb 2009

yeah checked that out says nothing about the key thanks anyway technotiger

Technotiger 21:02 09 Feb 2009

So it seems, that you will just have to keep those little Pinkies under control in future!

Cheers.

jack 09:58 10 Feb 2009

Many third party boards with all those Xtra keys need a separate software to drive them
Logitech for example.
If so investigate that possibility of disabling the software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?