Keeps requiring New Ip address

wishtobwireless 09:35 03 Mar 2007

My second lap top keeps losing the wireless connection. It seems to happen approx ten minutes after being connected. When I repair the connection the first time it works. Then after that say five minutes later it won't! It says that it is looking for a new IP address from repair then it cannot find it? I am using BT Voyager 2091 and Netgear although apparantly PC world set it up to use XP setting! Ugh sorry not sure what that means. Should all my setting be exactly the same as the first lap top? Or should they be different. I am frightened to change anything as at the moment as I say I can get it to work for 10 minutes!
Any help appreciated and thank you

aine 20:07 04 Mar 2007

both laptops should have the same settings, the easiest way is to put them alongside each other and duplicate the first one, dont forget to encrypt both the same

recap 12:13 05 Mar 2007

The IP addresses should be different, laptop 1 = 192.168.20.1 Laptop 2 = 192.168.20.2 or similar. Workgroup name should be the same, laptop names should be different say laptop_1 & laptop_2

aine 23:08 05 Mar 2007

recap i forgot to mention that the difference would be on the last number of the second laptop, I will consider myself reprimanded for duff gen

wishtobwireless 07:40 06 Mar 2007

Basic I know but...
Thanks for your help guys but where do I change the IP address? I have been into internet options etc and cannot find it! I found the section when first setting up wireless but now cannot ugh!

recap 11:11 06 Mar 2007

Right click My Networkplaces select Properties. Select Local Connection. Highlight Internet Proptocol (TCP/IP) then Properties.

wishtobwireless 19:43 06 Mar 2007

Hi aine & recap
I have tried all the above to no avail...
First laptop was set for auto IP address so have tried to set to 192.168.20.1 with second laptop with .2
Also tried with first laptop on auto IP address and second laptop with 192.168.20.2
Since reverted back to original settings
First laptop on auto and also second (as they were originally)but now second laptop cannot find any IP address! Have tried repair but cannot find IP address

bof:) 17:10 20 Mar 2007

have you tried restarting your router and modem?

tullie 17:40 20 Mar 2007

Ive also got a 2091.
Have a laptop with wireless connection.
Bought another laptop a couple of days ago,turned on wireless switch,and bingo!Connected straight away.

rick808 18:06 20 Mar 2007

When both laptops are on auto , check that DHCP is enabled on both the Voyager and the Netgear - what is the model of your Netgear?

wishtobwireless 21:46 20 Mar 2007

I will have a look next Monday as I am away at the moment. Cheers thanks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?