keeps rebooting

taffyal 17:41 15 Feb 2006

My PC keeps shutting down & rebooting. On re start,Win Patrol warns that %systemroot%\system32\dumprep0-k wants to add itself to my start up. I tell it no, everything works OK for a while, then it shuts down & starts up again. It first did it twice when I was running dvd santa, but has done it when I am just checking mail.
AVG found nothing, I have Win patrol,Adawre & Spybot S&D. Also, the PC has slowed down over the last few days.I have XP Pro, SP2, 1.2processor, 512PC133 ram & 40gig HD.
I ran a Google, it comes up with one page in Chinese, which translates to "legal copy KV2004 does not kill the virus", & a heap of goobbledegook!Dated 8/2004.
Any ideas Please? Cheers, Al

AndySD 18:07 15 Feb 2006

To start with Go Start then Control Panel them Administrative Tools and choose Event Viewer click on System and see what Errors there are there (the ones with the red cross) find the ones when you think the pc crashed and either google them or post them here.

%systemroot%\system32\dumprep0-k is just a system diagnostic file, but only usefull to experts.

Click Start/Run and type in 'regedit' (without the quotes) to bring up the Registry Editor. Then you navigate to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Once you click on the 'Run' Key file icon in the left hand pane, you will notice in the right hand pane a list of autostarts including [kernelfaultcheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

Right click 'kernelfaultcheck' and select delete from the pop-up menu.

Naturally you have to be very carefull working in the Registry, so you may care to back up the 'Run' Key before you edit it. You do that by selecting it in the LH pane and then:-

1. From the Registry menu, choose File/Export;
2. In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the backup;
3. In the File Name box, type a suitable name for your backup file;
4. In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected;
5. Click Save.

The file is then saved with a .reg extension; and if you make a mistake you can always reverse the process by by clicking File/Import and selecting the backup which you can then merge back into the Registry.

Let us know if that helps.

taffyal 18:38 15 Feb 2006

AndySd, I tried this,only event about the time was Error:Service Control Manager General Purpose USB Driver (adildr.sys) service failed to start:-either disabled or has no enabled devices associated with it.
10 secs before this was: Information Save Dump. Computer has rebooted from bug check

[email protected](c), tried this , the resulting rt hand pane only showed (default) REG_SZ value not set
(0228e555-4fc-... REG_SZ Gmail notifier
Adiras,
AVG7_CC
CHotkey
Win PatrolSystem
However, it has been running OK for the last hour, with dvd Santa working.Have to go now, will leave running. Perhaps a restore might be useful, after I backup? Thanks to you both. Al

stalion 19:02 15 Feb 2006

go here select R and scroll down to windows xp keeps rebooting click here

DKCoo 19:11 15 Feb 2006

Also its only a temp fix but wen u reboot your pc it will be gone but go to start-run- type cmd then type shutdown -a that will stop the pc from rebooting!
Well it should!

taffyal 15:46 16 Feb 2006

I just got back, thought easiest thing to back up & restore to before problem started. After a few tries, I'm now in last week!!!!, but it seems to work ok at present. Many thanks for advice, cheers, Al.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone