keeps downloading updates

Jaynedoe 23:09 21 Jun 2010

Hi all. windows update keeps downloading .net 3.5 to my computer. It has done this 7 times tonight. I have automatic update turned off and according to installed software it is already on. The yellow sheild keeps flashing to D/L the same thing continuosly. How do I stop this please or is it something more sinister?
thanks
Jane

peter99co 23:18 21 Jun 2010

What does your update history show about the update? Was it successful and installed?

robin_x 23:40 21 Jun 2010

W7 and Java .jre does to this to me to.

Put up with it, it's worth it in the long term.

W7 SP1 will be available soon.

Jaynedoe 11:50 22 Jun 2010

Hi peter. It shows succesfully installed but I can see 5 copies of the same file when I go to the add and remove software option in control panel? Tonight I am going to uninstall all of them and manually download the .net update myself. This was suggested to me in an email so I will try it.
Interestingly in relation to robinofloxley this did occur after I D/L the lastest Java update and installed it.

cocteau48 13:39 22 Jun 2010

If I recall the resolution to these rogue updates which show as installed,but are not actually installed,and therefore keep appearing as wanting to install is to re-download and install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
During the install you should choose the repair rather than install option.

If that does not cure things then the other option is to uninstall and reinstall all .NET Framework components.

Manually downloading the updates is unlikely to resolve matters.

mimosa418 10:20 23 Jun 2010

You require to uninstal all .net framework installation them reinstal staring with 3.5 and then 1 and 1.1. best to run Windows update after each installation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017