keeping software legel

fen0004 23:11 15 Jan 2007

Dear support teams,

I would like to know a few things about the free full version of software that are on magazines CDs/DVDs. I like to keep all my software legal and make sure that I am not breaking any copyright laws.

Some of the software’s that I have from you are full version of software that has been provided to people who buy magazines like “Netguide”, “Australian personal computers” or “Australian Pc world”. My question is that to use the programs, I need to give you my email address to get a product key to use the program. I would like if I need to keep the emails in my inbox. Alternatively, may I write the product key down on a piece of paper in my handwriting? My inbox is getting quite full. Is there any advice that you can give me so I can keep my software legal? Could I store the info in a database? What do you think?

I will be graceful if you could help me in anyway possible.

Also I an about to change my email address as I an getting so much span, is there a way so I can update my details?

Daniel Fenn

Belatucadrus 23:23 15 Jan 2007

If you've got a load of authorisation codes, there's no reason why you can't write the codes down somewhere. Or just jot them down on a wordpad document, a database would be even better. As to changing your e-mail address, if your concerned about keeping the providers of the product keys updated, I don't think it matters that much, unless they're sending you some product circulars that you want to keep receiving.

woodchip 23:24 15 Jan 2007

The software is Legal, it's just old versions. They want you E-Mail so they can keep pestering you to upgrade

fen0004 23:31 15 Jan 2007

how can i show prof that the products key are not fake and i own then?, i been ask one and i alnost got told off

woodchip 23:33 15 Jan 2007

Who do you need to prove to?

fen0004 23:36 15 Jan 2007

i have to prove to the people who made browser bob once, every thing is ok now, i just don't it to happen to me again, may not be so lucky next time

woodchip 23:45 15 Jan 2007

No idea what you are on about sorry.

Belatucadrus 23:46 15 Jan 2007

If you're in a situation where you need to prove that it's a licensed copy to a third party, why not print out the relevant product code e-mails and keep them stashed in a folder or A-Z file.
One thing I've done is added a new folder to Outlook Express and I drag all my authorisation mails into that so that I don't need to search through my inbox to find them if I need to reload anything.

fen0004 23:48 15 Jan 2007

i could do that but what about my email address as it will change soon?

Input Overload 00:09 16 Jan 2007

I have a folder in a documents folder simply called software licences, in there are any email licence codes & any others are on .txt files with the date of the purchase & or details of the company & email addresses etc. The system works well for me. Also my programs are zipped in a separate folder with a .txt file & or email with the licensing information together.

fen0004 00:12 16 Jan 2007

ok i will try that and thank everyone who replies

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017