Keeping an old Virgin dialup email account active

andy625 10:46 30 Jun 2010

I have a virgin.net email account that I started when everything was on dialup in the 90's. Every few months I connect via a dialup to keep the account active.

Now that Virgin have switched to the googlemail format, can anyone tell me if I still need to connect via dialup to keep the account working?

scotty 10:59 30 Jun 2010

I still use an old virgin email address. I have not connected to the account for years but the email keeps working.

andy625 11:05 30 Jun 2010

We had a message a few years ago that said as we hadn't connected via dialup for over 3 or possibly 6 months, the account would be disabled if we didn't connect before x date. Since then I've had it in my diary to connect every few months to make sure its kept going.

Just wondered if I still need to do this. Seems a bit antiquated.

Dipso 19:13 30 Jun 2010

I also haven't dialled in to Virgin for years now and my email still works fine.

andy625 20:16 30 Jun 2010

And you opened your Virgin accounts in the 90's/early 00's too?

Dipso 20:36 30 Jun 2010

I signed up with Virgin for broadband in 2003. I only stayed with them for a month...yes they were that good! After I left I got the odd email about signing in and I did, then I forgot, but I still have the POP3 email account set up and use it regularly and I can log in to the new webmail service too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?