Keeping internet banking passwords safe

astral traveller 20:04 21 Sep 2007

Is it safe to keep passwords for online accounts on my pc? I have a program called 'password agent' which stores passwords and you need a password to get in. Also there is a facility on 'Onenote' (Microsoft Office) for password protecting pages, are either of these considered to be safe from hackers. I am not worried about anyone accessing my computer direct as only my wife and myself have access.
Also I have an online EGG account and I have used their facility for managing all my online accounts through the Egg money manager - basically once I have logged into my EGG account all my other accounts are accessible without any further passwords, this has worried me more recently as if a hacker discovered my EGG access all of my accounts could be cleaned out! Am I worrying too much?

Diodorus Siculus 20:24 21 Sep 2007

Is it safe to keep passwords for online accounts on my pc?

I would say yes - with a little common sense and care you will not be hacked so there is nothing to worry about.

Clapton is God 20:57 21 Sep 2007

Why do you need to keep the passwords on your PC if you're worried about 'hackers'?

All my passwords are listed on a simple Excel spreadsheet which is stored on a removable media (USB pen drive)

Stuartli 23:47 21 Sep 2007

I have several online bank accounts. I can access each site using a normal username and password.

However, to make further progress I have to input two or more of my own individual range of pre-selected security answers.

So, even if someone knows my username and password, they would not make any further progress unless they knew the follow up security selections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?