Keeping email contacts.

spuds 20:51 27 Oct 2003

Having to rethink my internet connection, I will shortly change my ISP package. The ISP as told me that I will have to open a new pay-as-you-go account, to retain my present email address.A new and different email address will be supplied for the new ISP broadband package.The ISP state that they cannot transfer the old email address, to the broadband package, even though it is the same company.

Due to the volume of daily emails that I receive, I am not very happy on the payg route,and the added expenses, that will occure.

What is the most practicle and simplest way of notifying my 'volume' clientele of my new imposed email details,so contact can be retained.

VoG II 20:54 27 Oct 2003

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I shall watch this with interest as something similar is going to affect me at work soon - with hundreds of contacts to inform.

spuds 21:13 27 Oct 2003

Thanks for the quick email response (;o))

madPentium 21:17 27 Oct 2003

go into outlook express
select tools/address book
click on file/new group
for group name type ALL
click select members
highlight the top of your contacts
scroll to the last contact, hold down the left shift and click on it which selects them all.
click on select, then ok.
Now create a new email and for the TO address, select the group ALL.It will be at the very bottom of the contacts list.
Now type an email saying your email has changed/ or will change to ??????

click send.

AndyJ 21:17 27 Oct 2003

Create yourself a new Group (call it All or Mail All or something) and put everyone's email address you want to notify in it. That way you'll only have to write one email when the dastardly event occurs !?

AndyJ 21:18 27 Oct 2003

Typical.....madPentium just beat me to it !! :-]

Bagsey 21:19 27 Oct 2003

Are you saying that when you go broad band your email address will have to change??
I kept mine when I changed over with from Btanytime to Bt broadband.So where is the problem for your ISP???

madPentium 21:21 27 Oct 2003

I too changed from anytime to broadband but the pay as you go package seems to prevent this.
I think the last part of the email is different with pay as you go, isnt it @btclick.com ?

spuds 21:59 27 Oct 2003

I thought the transfer of packages, would not make any difference to my email address.A friend uses Freeserve, and when he changed from dial-up to broadband, he was able to transfer his email address over, with no problems.Tiscali say that they cannot do this!.Perhaps it is double package, double money.

Sir Radfordin 23:47 27 Oct 2003

In 95% of cases you can collect emails from a POP3 account regardless of how you connect to the internet. You will nearly always have to use the SMTP of the ISP you connect via.

In your case, if your current Tiscali account is not a PAYG one then you need to find out if Tiscali will allow you to change it to one. If they will you will only have to dial up once every so often to keep it active (1/30 days in some cases) and can download emails from both the POP3 server for the old account, and the same for the new one.

You can then let people know the new email exists and as it filters through you should get fewer and fewer emails to the old account.

VoG - don't know what you work situation is, but it may be very similar. Unless you are using an exchange server. Exchange will allow you to have more than one email address on an account.

It may be worth getting a basic domain with a company like One&One (click here) who will allow you to create your own POP3 accounts. Should your ISP then change in the future your email address can remain the same.

DieSse 00:21 28 Oct 2003

A PAYG account is a free account, where you only pay for the 'phone calls. You never need to use the dial-up - just set it up to retain your old email address, as they suggest.

On your new service you will be able to pick up emails from both your old address and your new one, without incurring any extra costs.

What you will not be able to do is send emails from your old address - no matter, people will get used to emails coming from your new one - and you can add a signature telling them about the change. So gradually everyone will get the message!

Then in the fullness of time you can change the sig to tell them you are closing your old account if you wish.

I have had ADSL for two years now - and still retain a free eamil account from my old pay service - which was converted just like yours. No problems and no extra costs at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?