Keeping email address

Limpy 16:53 19 Sep 2006

I am probably greener than I thought, but is it possible to change your ISP but keep your email address?

sean-278262 17:08 19 Sep 2006

That depends on what ISP you have and what service you are on. I changed ISP from Dial up to broadband and I still have the same email address as when I switched to BB.

If you let us know what you have at the moment we can tell you more.

Limpy 17:13 19 Sep 2006

My friend is with Wanadoo on dial up but wants to move to BT Broadband. Will he hav to lose his Wanadoo email address?

sean-278262 17:49 19 Sep 2006

What wanadoo service are they on. If it is pay as you go usually the email address is separate and can be used after leaving as you dont have to tell them you are. The best answer is usually to ask wanadoo.

Woolwell 18:04 19 Sep 2006

He will lose his Wanadoo (Orange) e-mail address and get a new BT one. The Wanadoo address will probably stay open for a while but will eventually close. A way around this is to set up a domain name.

Woolwell 18:14 19 Sep 2006

Should have added:
Wanadoo dial up accounts remain active for up to 90 days without dialling in. After that they become locked along with the e-mail and have to be reactivated. The answer is to dial up to connect occasionally.

Fingees 18:59 19 Sep 2006

I was with Wanadoo/Orange broadband, and migrated to BT

When I left Wanadoo I asked them if I could revert to a pay as you go to keep my Email active.

I was told I could access it without using dial up anytime, as it would still remain active.

I know I can still receive mail via them, but I never attempt to use them to send mail, so I don't know about that.

I also have a pay as you go account with supanet, and connect to them once a month, this ensures the account is kept open, and, I am also able to send via them by accessing at least once a month. It costs me about ten pence per month to keep it going , so it's well worth it.

terryf 21:57 19 Sep 2006

I have found in the past that I have changed ISP but retained the capability to receive emails from old addresses BUT it depends on the ISP whether they purge the address, I parted company with talktalk acrimoniously and they soon purged the address. Besides, think of all the spam you won't be getting if you delete the old account and it is easy to send a COA email to those that need to know and financial, software, etc vendors accept changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?