Keep XP Home by upgading PC?

Trikie 15:28 23 Aug 2009

My PC was built by a local shop in 2005. I need something more powerful as I want to get into video editing but still want to use XP (avoiding Vista and waiting until Windows 7 has been around long enough to have cleared the inevitable initial problems).

The local shop has since closed down so I can't ask them about this.

Looking at the invoice and various operating discs I have a Foxconn motherboard + 2400AMD CPU + 512 DDR. Graphic is nVidea Tornado GeForce MX. 2 x 80GB hard drives plus an external 700GB.

Belarc Advisor says the motherboard is Via Technologies KT600-8237.

Is this enough information to be able to tell me whether there is any scope for beefing up this PC? If so I will look for somewone local to do it (I am very non-technical)

If not is it still possible to buy XP and have it loaded it onto a new computer that already has Vista installed?

oldbeefer2 16:37 23 Aug 2009

Yes, you can still buy XP (eg, click here) but all the signs are that Windows 7 is a sound operating system.

albert108 16:48 23 Aug 2009

Adding more RAM would be an inexpensive way of beefing performance. 512k is very little.

Fingees 17:21 23 Aug 2009

I have been running Windows 7 since its beta days.

It's far better than XP, and Vista.

You can get it half price if you pre order now for its launch on 22nd October.

It's well worth concidering, as you save over £60.

All the best.

brundle 17:46 23 Aug 2009

Any modern CPU will outperform your current one enormously for video-editing, it was the one area where Intel were definitely better when the Athlon and P4 were at roughly level pegging. Not sure if that's still the case but even so, there's not alot you can do with what you have - you ought to be looking at a complete change, perhaps a motherboard bundle - click here ( unless you're prepared to wait a long time for processing to be done). More memory will help but it's no substitute for raw processing power.

The most you could do with what you have is fit an Athlon 3200 and perhaps put 2GB of DDR400 memory in there, if your board supports the top-end Athlon of the day.

Regarding W7 - I stuck with XP for a long time after Vista was released, my initial impressions weren't good - eventually had to get used to it on a works laptop, and still to this day find it somehow unwieldy and just not enjoyable to use. Having run the various Windows 7 incarnations intermittently on my home PC and the RTM on the aforementioned works laptop since Aug 23, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it - the slightly slow response of Vista is gone, all sorts of small tweaks help make every tasks simpler, both Vista and 7 are very much less prone to major crashes and spyware infections than XP will ever be - speaking of which UAC in W7 is much improved over Vista too. I would even go so far as to say that there's little need to "wait until the bugs are ironed out" waiting for a Service Pack, as was definitely the case with Vista - the Beta and RC releases helped MS to tackle some of the problems they might otherwise have needed to patch months after official release. W7 will make better use of more powerful hardware too.

Pineman100 17:54 23 Aug 2009

There are several endorsements for W7 above, but even if you add more memory to your current computer, I wouldn't consider running W7 on it.

If you buy a new computer now, it will have Vista on it, but most of the major computer manufacturers/suppliers are offering a "free"* upgrade to W7 with any Vista computer bought today. And you don't have to take up the upgrade immediately. I believe the offer remains open until next January (but check that), so you'd have several months for any initial W7 bugs to be ironed out.

* "Free" means they'll probably charge you about £20 for the CD and P&P. Still a good deal, though.

Trikie 18:10 23 Aug 2009

Thanks everyone. Reading all the advice I think Pineman100's suggestion is the one to go with.

Daydeaming perhaps but one of the Sony Mac style ones without a tower..............

brundle 22:05 23 Aug 2009

I know you've ticked this, but I wanted to add that I agree with Pineman100's advice about not installing W7 on your current system, and I meant Aug 6th.

Trikie 15:48 24 Aug 2009

Another thought - most of my programmes are as old as the PC. As secretary of a largish club I've got a lot of info on an old Serif DTP and other files as well as Works. Will getting Windows 7 mean having to buy a lot of new programms? (I suspect that they are too old to be upgraded).

Seeing Oldbeefer2's link to buy XP Professional for £35 is it possible to have 2 operating systems on a PC? (I said I am very non-technical!)

Pineman100 19:05 26 Aug 2009

I guess your Serif DTP is PagePlus. It needn't cost you much (or even nothing!) to run a newer version of this: click here

Quite a lot of computers are supplied with Microsoft Works preloaded for free, so you might want to look out for that.

But four-year old programs aren't that old, and they might run perfectly well under Vista. If they won't, Vista has a solution to that problem called Compatibility Mode (which I guess will also be incorporated in W7): click here

woodchip 19:24 26 Aug 2009

You can Video Edit on what you have, I have done it with less. But a bigger internal drive is what you do need as a External it too slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017