Keep losing Internet Connection (approx hourly)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:36 10 Jan 2017

For the last few days I keep losing the Internet on a regular basis.

Router - all lights stay blue but wireless lost to phone / tablet and Chromecast. Only thing that seems to work is a reset of the BT HH2 then its back OK for the next hourish.

Dropped out about 4 times today since 11 o'clock

Only new equipment added is a Chomecast last week, worked OK upstairs in same room as router but when moved to TV downstairs Saturday, thats when the troubles seem to start, coincidence?

Any Ideas welcome. Hub dying?

difarn 17:06 10 Jan 2017

I have read several articles about Chromecast causing wifi interference, primarily when it isn't changing to managed mode after the initial set up. This article will explain better. It seems that a factory reset of Chromecast did the trick.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 10 Jan 2017

This is one of the round type chromcasts no power button as in the write up to factory reset.

I've just disconnected it to see if it solves the problem for the rest of the night.

difarn 19:02 10 Jan 2017

When you set it up did you change the router settings as in this article, particularly turning of the Smart Set Up feature if your HH2 has one?

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:01 10 Jan 2017

HH2 does not have smart setup

mine is "hacked" to use non BT provider :0)

No drop outs since Cast unplugged an hour ago

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:32 11 Jan 2017

Looks like its definitely something o do with the chrome cast as internet was OK all last night and still working this morning .

will plug in to the "office TV" and see what happens when its 5 ft from the router.

difarn 10:22 11 Jan 2017

There are many posts on the web about this issue, particularly that CC is being seen as an access point. Most seem to have been cured by ensuring a 2.4ghz connection is being used, resetting it to factory settings, disabling UpNP on the router, shutting off Chromecast Guest mode, and others.

Will be interesting to see what happens when you have tried what you suggest.

Newuser4165 10:27 11 Jan 2017

I fully agree with you Fruit Bat - it is the Chromecast dongle causing the problem.In my case the interference appears to affect my SkyQ silver box but not the router.SkyQ became unresponsive to remote control which uses Bluetooth to communicate.Resetting the Sky box was unable to solve the issue until I unplugged the Chromecast dongle.All now OK with my Sky box.

Newuser4165 10:31 11 Jan 2017

Further info on remote control problem.Wi Fi analyser showed a spurious signal at 5GHz on Channel 36 - the one used by Sky to form it's mesh.This spurious signal disappeared when Chromecast dongle unplugged.

difarn 10:41 11 Jan 2017

@Newuser4165

As a matter of interest did you change your CC setting from "master mode" to "managed mode" after installation. The signal you mention is probably because CC is being recognised as an access point, as mentioned in articles I have given links to.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 11 Jan 2017

OK it's just crashed again, been happily showing me some nice pictures for the last hour and a half.

Might have been because I was fiddling in the Google Home app cast settings and not realised I may have touched a wrong setting.

This new home app for the chrome cast is really rubbish and you cannot easily get into the cast settings and then there is not much you can change:

Switching backdrop on off

Switching guest mode on off

I'm switching off guest mode and see what happens then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?