Keep getting "Restore Active Desktop"

TommyRed 14:19 03 Sep 2003

After a corrupted download I now get the above message which says there is an error in IE. I have run the repair for IE in add/remove programs, but to no avail. I'm sure part of that download must still be lurking about. It also appears to have affected the start, taskbar and system tray icons (which disappear) as they freeze occasionally. Any ideas how to resolve? TR

spikeychris 18:48 03 Sep 2003

I would hazard a guess that you are not using XP. If this is the case and you are using 98 then from run go to start and from run type sfc.

If your ME post back.

Chris

TommyRed 08:02 04 Sep 2003

I seem to have resolved the white screen with "Restore Active Desktop" by going to Control Panel>Display>Web tab and unchecking "View my Active Desktop as a web page" but everything on the taskbar/system tray ocasionally freezes and the cursor turns from a pointer to a double headed arrow like for expanding windows. I have to re-boot to get out of it and I've noticed on the first ctrl, alt & delete that 'zone alarm' is highlighted in the 'close program' box, I wonder if I need to re-install it, btw you where spot on with 98. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie