Keep getting email error message

bear73 13:33 15 Dec 2010

For the last few months I have been occasionally getting an error message when doing a send/receive mail update in Microsoft Outlook. I use a tiscali email and it has been set up fine for years but recently I noticed this messgae on the screen

Task 'pop.tiscali.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR proxy authentication failed'

The email and password in the box is fine so I just click ok and sometimes it is ok and other times the screen just keeps flashing up for a while and then goes back to normal.

I have checked all my settings and they are fine so not sure why this message pops up now and then. Any ideas on how to resolve it?

Thanks
bear

northumbria61 14:43 15 Dec 2010

This would normally point to an incorrect password but as you say this is not the case. If you are still having problems, it could be that your password has somehow become corrupted. Try changing it in My Account.

You may have "Log on using Secure Password Authentication", or "My server requires authentication" checked, when you may not need to. Try to uncheck one of these at a time and hit the Send/receive button to see if you get that message.

Tools - Accounts - your account - Properties - Servers

northumbria61 14:46 15 Dec 2010

Alternatively you could delete your email account and "re-create" a new one using "manual" settings - that way you retype everything in and check each step.

bear73 18:17 17 Dec 2010

Hi Thanks for your replies.

This only happens intermittently but sometimes its very annoying if I am waiting on an email.

I have checked my settings, Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) was unchecked under Outgoing Server, but, My outgoing server (SMTP)requires authentication was ticked.

It then said log on using, and then listed my username and password. If I uncheck this will it stop requiring my password, is that a security risk?

I have noticed that when I access my mail using my mobile phone the message automatically pops up on my desktop machine. What is the link between accessing my mail on my phone and this message flashing up on my desktop.

It doesn't just come up when I access mail on my phone though it comes up randomly aswell.

Thanks
bear

northumbria61 20:31 17 Dec 2010

I am sorry I am unable to answer your query with regards to the link between accessing your mail on your phone and the message flashing up on your desktop - I don't have or need that facility myself.

You say it is "intermittent" but it does appear that there may be something in your settings ie: in the forwarding from your PC (desktop) to your mobile. Have a look in this LIST click here

lotvic 10:27 18 Dec 2010

Also have a look in Outlook, Tools, Options, Outlook may be set to check for new messages every *minutes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache