KB and Mouse not responding at XP login

fillythebish 22:42 18 Nov 2007

I accidentaly delted all my nvidia drivers (gfx card and my 680i nvidia chipset) when I was going to install new gfx drivers.

Now my logitech mouse and keyboard dont respond at xp login.

The keyboard works in BIOS but not when xp loads.

I've tried safe mode and I get stuck at the same place.

Any suggestions?

brundle 23:08 18 Nov 2007

Are they USB devices?

griffon56 23:08 18 Nov 2007

Borrow the use of a computer and download nVidia drivers from their site, then re-load them on your machine. The KB and Mouse behaviour you report is what would be expected if there were no drivers for them in Windows, since in the BIOS stage of start up Windows isn't operating.

In Safe Mode I would have thought that they should work because only the very basic Windows drivers are used and all third party drivers by-passed. It looks as tho' your nVidia drivers have replaced the Windows ones and then got deleted as you report, so there are no old Windows drivers to fall back on.

If you have a Windows XP CD you could do a repair, or similarly if you have a Recovery CD or Partition, which ought to replace the KB and M drivers. If you want info on this go to Microsoft's site and search their Knowledge Base articles for Repairing Windows. Alternatively, search Google for it and follow the most likely looking links. Best of luck.

griffon56 23:15 18 Nov 2007

Hi filly,
Here's a bit more that might be useful. There is a Win XP Repair article at click here which is a very well respected site for all kinds of good advice. I'd recommend you have a look it served me well a few months ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017