Kaspesky security suite.

charlton200 06:33 10 Jun 2008

Hi I have just installed a Kaspersky security suite that my bank was giving away free.

I am not sure what firewall setting to put it on.
either -
block all
high
training mode
low security
allow all

It is already set to low. But i am unsure about that.

Any ideas please.

Thank you.

User-1229748 07:37 10 Jun 2008

my guess would be training mode but i would wait until someone who is using it themselves advises you :)

beynac 07:49 10 Jun 2008

It is best to set it to 'training mode' if you are an experienced user. However, this will give you a lot of popups asking for permission to allow actions. These will quickly reduce in number as the program learns, but there will always be the ocassional one, especially after you install a new program or make any other changes to the system.

If you are unwilling or don't feel able to go through this stage, it would be best to use 'low security' which should be sufficient for the average user.

charlton200 12:57 10 Jun 2008

Is low security mode safe.

Also 1 more question if I may.

I keep getting windows security bubble pooping up saying Kaspersky is turned off when it isn't.

Thanks.

beynac 13:22 10 Jun 2008

Kaspersky say that he default settings give a good level of security. The 'low security' setting is the default and therefore provides an adequate level of protection. These sort of settings are always a compromise between security and usability.

beynac 13:25 10 Jun 2008

Sorry, I forget to comment on your other point. Have you updated Kaspersky? I used to get this occasionally when I hadn't used my laptop for a while and the definitions were out of date. A reboot usually sorted it out. It hasn't done this for a while and I assumed that the program had been updated to stop it happening.

charlton200 13:39 10 Jun 2008

Yes It uptodate but window security still says its turned off.

Thanks for your advise.

Poitier 14:17 10 Jun 2008

Hi,
Had similar problem with KAV7. Kaspersky said to ignore it. Provided that the Kaspersky icon is coloured you are protected. You could pose the question in the Kaspersky user forum found under support in the main window. There you can also update yo the latest version free.

Ditch999 15:50 10 Jun 2008

I agree with Poitier.
If the icon is red and black then ignore the Windows warning. I have it disabled to stop it annoying me.

charlton200 17:43 10 Jun 2008

Thanks everyone, I'll do that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?