kaspersky or bitdefender internet secutiry 2009 su

pookie 20:41 24 Sep 2008

Hi

Windows xp sp3.

I have read the posts re free avg, comodo firewall etc but fancy a paid for suite. I have also read many reviews and have narrowed it to kaspersky or bitdefender 2009 suites. The reviews in pc advisor point to kaspersky but has anyone experienced the two first hand? Which did you find better?

Many thanks

P

Fried~Chips 21:16 24 Sep 2008

Either v7 and free web upgrade to 2009 or buy the KIS 2009 1yr 1 licence. Remember AVG is Virus protection ONLY and not AVG. Whats the point of mixing 2 packages when 1 will do the trick.

Look on amazon click here

or search kaspersky internet security on amazon.co.uk

Woolwell 22:07 24 Sep 2008

I have used both Kaspersky and BitDefender (not on the same systems!) but not the 2009 version but the 2008. My choice based on that would be Kaspersky. It takes less resources and seems to be more efficient.

Diversion 22:09 24 Sep 2008

I tried KIS 2009 and my PC got contaminated as soon as I connected to the internet, the Defender on Vista notified me that a dialler was in the process of dialling out. I immediately shut my connection down uninstalled Kaspersky and put my Panda Internet Security back in, and went onto the Kaspersky website forum and told them what I thought about their KIS 2009 and what a complete waste of time and money it was. It looks good but you can’t select which programs or temp files gain access to the internet, and I definitely don’t want diallers dialling out from my computer which is what happened whilst KIS 2009 was installed and updated.

Needless to say they banned me from their forum for telling the truth, I wouldn’t mind but the KIS 2009 cost me more than the Panda Internet Security which has Mega Detection built into it for less than £8 including post and packaging.

i tried kaspersky when vista first came out, found it very resource hungry and ditched it for nod 32 2.7 nod seems to have lost it's way somewhat. i tried kis 2009 at first i hated it found it very intrusive. however i have now got used to it and it works a treat, currently using 7k of ram plus 1.8k for the interface and no cpu at all thats with 3 games open and 2 browsers, personally i have come to love it!

rawprawn 07:53 25 Sep 2008

I have been using it for the past 6 Months (Free if you bank online at Barclays) with Vista Home Premium. I find it excellent and by comparison I have used among others AVG, Avast NOD32 (Eset Security Suite) and Norton. Without a doubt I prefer Kaspersky.
I have had no problems at all.

pookie 12:10 28 Sep 2008

hi

many thanks for all of the above comments. as an update i had some issues with kaspersky and am now using bitdefender trial. installed and updated ok. doesn't seem to have slowed down pc in any way. ran deep scan and it picked up a few things kaspersky hadn't (nothing major but still detected them). unless something strange happens before trial runs out then i'll stick with bitdefender 2009 internet security suite.

cheers

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement