Kaspersky license on the Cover disk Help

SimFlyer 15:12 08 Jul 2009

I have the latest issue of PC advisor and the Cover disk comes with Kaspersky Anti-virus 2009 for a 6 month license. The front of the Coverdisk also states a free upgrade to kaspersky Anti-virus 2010, but within the magazine on the Coverdisk page it states that PC advisor readers can upgrade free to the 2010 internet sercurity edition. When I load the coverdisk it also states a free upgrade to the internet sercuity edition. I downloaded Kaspersky Internet sercuity 2010 from their UK website, but it wont accept the license code on the back of the cover disk case. Have PC advisor made a mistake? have I done something wrong? or is the license only for the Anti-virus version? If it only works with Kaspersky Anti-virus, isn't this misleading?

Thankyou

Poitier 15:39 08 Jul 2009

Hi,
You can update KAV to the latest version or KIS to the latest version ,but the rule is 'It is impossible to activate KIS using the Activation Code for another application' Having said that some activation codes for KIS will not update and new ones have to be issued.

SimFlyer 16:00 08 Jul 2009

Thankyou for your reply poitier

I have tried the license code on the Anti-virus 2010 version and it has activated sucessfully.

I hope someone from PC advisor will come and explain why they stated that their readers could upgrade free to the Internet sercurity version.

RickyC :-) 16:38 09 Jul 2009

Hi SimFlyer,

I'm investigating this with Kaspersky. The copy which appeared in the magazine was certainly correct - and as supplied by Kaspersky - so there certainly wasn't any intention to mislead readers. I'll post back here as soon as I've heard back from the software developers. Unfortunately my contact for this promotion is out of the office currently, so it may be a few days before there's any news.

kind regards

Richard
Software Editor

SimFlyer 00:20 12 Jul 2009

Thankyou

rdave13 00:30 12 Jul 2009

Kaspersky, Norton and MacAfee scare the pants off me on a home computer. Not only do they hold you to ransome to upgrade the following year but they need their own uninstall tool as they are as pervasive as the newest trojan.
Sending shivers down my spine to even think of putting trojan-like 'security' program on my home PC.

RickyC :-) 12:03 17 Jul 2009

Hi SimFlyer,

We've managed to get to the bottom of this upgrade problem, and with the assistance of the helpful staff at Kaspersky Lab UK, we've posted instructions on various parts of the site to ensure users who want to upgrade to either KAV 2010 or KIS 2010 can do so. Please see below for details:

PC Advisor's September 2009 DVD included an exclusive 6-month licence for Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009, with the option for readers to upgrade free of charge to Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 for the duration of the 6-month licence.

Readers have reported difficulties when upgrading to the new version of Kaspersky Internet Security, and so we wanted to make it absolutely clear with some step-by-step instructions.

Kaspersky Lab offer PC Advisor readers the opportunity to upgrade their free 6-month licence for Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 to the brand-new Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 for the duration of their license period. In order to upgrade your software, simply click here to download the new version, save the new version, and then uninstall Version 2009 before installing the 2010 Version. Use the Activation code that has been provided on the DVD case with your September 2009 issue of PC Advisor magazine.

Those PC Advisor readers wishing to upgrade their Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 licence to a Kaspersky Internet Security licence, will require a new Activation Code. Provided you have a valid Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 activation code (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx ) from the September 2009 PC Advisor DVD, to get your activation code for the Internet Security product please click here to contact the Kaspersky helpdesk.

click here for the same information, with the urls visible (i.e. not obscured behind a 'click here').

kind regards

Richard
Software Editor

HardwareManager 18:08 24 Jul 2009

I have spent over a week trying to get the Kaspersky AV 2009 key amended into a 2010 Internet security key as detailed in this post and the sites news section.
First I sent the following to the helpdesk :-
###########
Following instructions provided by PC Advisor magazine I wish to convert my free 6 month AV2009 key into a 6 month KIS 2010 key. The key I have from the magazine DVD case is XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
###########
The response was :-
===========
2009.07.22, 19:16 - Scott Walker:

Hello,

Hi there,

It would be worth contacting Digital River, our reseller directly .

the email address is below .

[email protected]

To Telephone:

Call Digital river on 0808 101 7519 for online sales support related queries and if you wish to order by phone. When calling from a landline in the UK, calls will not be charged. When calling from a UK mobile, the charge is 20p+ per minute. Charges may vary depending on your mobile network.

Kind regards,

Best regards,
Kaspersky Lab Support Team
=========
So I sent this to Digital river
#########
I appear to be getting the run around on this issue and will be complaining to PC Advisor magazine
but as sugested below I am sending my request on to yourselves as per the e-mail address provided
in thew reponse from Kaspersky helpdesk below.
Original request is copied here (note instructions on this were posted on PC Advisor magazine
website and forums)
###########
Following instructions provided by PC Advisor magazine I wish to convert my free 6 month AV2009 key into a 6 month KIS 2010 key. The key I have from the magazine DVD case is XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
###########
and got this response :-
==========
Dear Keith Taylor,

Thank you for contacting the Kaspersky Lab online store.

We must inform you that you cannot upgrade your product from AntiVirus
to Internet Security.

If Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 is installed on your computer and
you would like to upgrade to Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, you
should do the following:

Note: the same procedure will upgrade Antivirus 2009 to Antivirus 2010

1. Download the product distributive version 2010 from the Kaspersky
Lab?s official site

click here

2. Run the downloaded file

3. Follow the instructions of the Setup Wizard

4. Restart your computer.

When version 2010 is installed ?on top? of version 2009 the following
data are automatically saved and relocated to the new version:

Activation information
Anti-Spam databases.

For more information on upgrading your product go to the following
click here

Sincerely,

Teresa Altersberger
Kaspersky Lab online store
Customer Service
[email protected]
==========
Leaving me with no way to proceed.
I only purchased this copy of the magazine for the
6 month update subscription to Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and feel totally miss-lead by the magazine.
I will think twice about information on future magazine covers.

birdface 18:53 24 Jul 2009

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 3 users.Less than £14.

click here

SimFlyer 17:10 28 Jul 2009

I've sent an email to Kaspersky's digitalriver, but they are telling me to contact Technical support? If your information provided above Hardwaresupport is anything to go by, then it doesn't look like I'm going to get an Internet sercurity upgrade. I'm going to give it a try, but no doubt I'll probably get the run around again.

RickyC :-) 11:37 29 Jul 2009

I'm looking in to this, will report back when I have an idea if this is a widespread problem.

regards
Richard
Software Editor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?