Kaspersky failing due to no access to reg. file

muddypaws 17:03 03 May 2014
Answered

XP SP3.

For the last week I have been trying to renew my KIS via a 2014 version dowload.

I have been on to Kas. forums where several people have various problem with this version.

I have done what they say, download removal tool, run in safe mode, reboot and run again in safe mode and install new version in safe mode.

It fails at about 80% with the message:

" Could not open HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\Winlogon\Notify\klogon"

I have navigated to there, but haven't a clue what to do with it.

I do have the XP Cd if a repair is suggested, but would like to avoid if poss.

Thanks once again for any help.

muddypaws 18:49 03 May 2014

Found a procedure on web. Will report back if cured.

muddypaws 11:17 07 May 2014

Well--no luck.

But I have tried posting an update and when I 'Post' red letters come up saying 'We think this is spam' and wont upload.

The only link I have in it is to the regedit instruction.

What's going on??

muddypaws 11:18 07 May 2014

Well--no luck.

Changed the key as instructed enter link description here

The 'Hi Michael' post.

Used the KIS removal tool in safe mode--rebooted installed in safe mode and failed to load without showing why. So think I will ditch KIS spent too much time on it over the last two weeks. Pity because it was working well for four years, and it was going to support XP.

I know of the other security tools, but any recommendations

muddypaws 11:18 07 May 2014

Went that time!

muddypaws 20:04 12 May 2014
Answer

After 10 days of trying to install and within 10 hours of my licence expiring I decided to have one more go doing it my way!

I once again used KIS uninstaller in safe mood which stated it was successful. On looking in 'Program Files' there it was still with all its components.

Downloaded a fresh KIS 2014, copied it to a usb stick and installed from there ( NOT in safe mode) and it worked! Presumably overwriting the old.

I now have 365 days free of stress till I have to do it again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?