Kaspersky avp.exe uses excessive processor pwr

tallboy 21:12 28 Oct 2009

For the past couple of years I have used Kaspersky Internet Security suite on my Mesh Athlon 1.4GHz XP PC. (Since PC Advisor gave away a 6-month license for it.) I have found it infinitely better than Norton - both in terms of the resources used and the excellent support you get from the Kaspersky UK team.

However, over the past few weeks I have found that the avp.exe file in KIS is often continually active, even if the PC is disconnected from the Internet and there are no user applications running. Apart from the KIS icon flashing to tell you it is doing 'something', there is a continual 'chatter' from the hard drive as the heads access data and of course the Task Manager indicates that avp.exe is grabbing anything between 2 and 70% of the processor power.

I have submitted the appropriate logs to the KIS team and they have given me a link to slightly updated version of KIS 2010. However, the problem remains with the revised version installed.

I think the KIS support team are now scratching their heads as much as I am as to why it is behaving like this. If anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing it (such as a recent Windows update - it does it on my wife's XP machine too) please let me know.

Thanks

Tallboy

User-1229748 21:51 28 Oct 2009

it may be worth running malwarebytes cos it could be a legit kaspersky file or malwareclick here

tallboy 18:59 29 Oct 2009

Many thanks for the link to Malwarebytes smackheadz. I downloaded and installed it and after 7 hours of scanning my two hard drives it reported 10 malware incidents. Fortunately none of these were malicious; instead they were no doubt ad links incorporated into Evidence Eraser, Error Nuker, Bug Doctor and Spyware Nuker. Since I no longer need / use any of these programs to any great extent, I used Malwarebytes to dispose of them.

This seems to have cured most of the problem with avp.exe taking large chunks of the processor cycles.

User-1229748 19:02 29 Oct 2009

i would try superantispyware aswell click here

User-1229748 19:09 29 Oct 2009

the programs you list there may be rogues and are still causing a slowdown as you will need to get rid of all traces.

tallboy 11:31 13 Nov 2009

Thanks for the link to Superantispyware smackheadz. I'll install that I see if it picks up anything else.

I did discover the main cause of the slow-down problem - Microsoft's desktop search. This appears to index every time you switch your PC on and if you have lots of files - which I do - it re-indexes and of course KIS tracks this, hence the extra load caused by avp.exe

I have now stopped this application from kicking off at switch on and the level of avp.exe activity has fallen significantly. Needless to say, I didn't add this app intentionally - it came as part of a Microsoft update, hence I wasn't looking out for potential negative consequences of that particular update.

User-1229748 13:28 13 Nov 2009

evidence eraser and bug doctor are malware and error nuker and spyware nuker are dubious to say the least thats why malwarebytes flagged them.i suggested running superantispyware because normally one antispyware app might find things the other missed,although malwarebytes seems to have done a decent job on it's own.good luck with superantispyware

tallboy 10:30 14 Nov 2009

Thanks for the additional comments smackheadz. I'll be switching to a new Win 7 PC later this month, so I'll make sure I don't let Evidence Eraser, Bug Doctor, Error Nuker and Spyware Nuker anywhere near it!

Are there any other 'notorious' programs I should be aware of? (To avoid)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?