JVC Video Camera Useage advice please

Shazza1954 23:46 01 Sep 2008

We have just got out our JVC GR-OX3-EK digital video camcorder out after not using it for a couple of years. We have re installed the drivers from the CD supplied with the camera, but when we plug the camera in using the usb lead a message comes up on the screen console "camera not found" We then tried to capture using Roxio, and although we could then play the images on the computer, they will not capture. Anybody any idea what we are doing wrong. There are no instructions with the camera re. transfering stuff to a PC. We have XP.

Technotiger 07:46 02 Sep 2008

You should be using a Firewire lead rather than USB.

Shazza1954 10:25 02 Sep 2008

Not sure what one of these is, but will go to a supplier and try to get one. How annoying that JVC supply a USB cablethat is innapropriate and do not supply the cable that is needed. Bit like BT broadband who supply a USB cable with their modems wheb you need ethernet for broadband to function properly.

Anyway, thanks, will get back and let you know if this works.

tullie 10:29 02 Sep 2008

If the lead was supplied it should work,i have allways used a USB connection for mine,though a dfferent brand.

Shazza1954 10:35 02 Sep 2008

Just checked the camera and there does not seem to be any other port on it but USB, is a firewire the same as a DV lead, if so the instructions say that my model is not made to take a DV cable.

Once the driver CD is installed, should the PC recognise the camera or am I missing a step somewhere? I am not a great computer expert, and there are no real instructions with the camera re. PC /camera useage.

Technotiger 10:42 02 Sep 2008

Yes, this shows the type of cable .. click here

but as tullie says, yours may well be USB only.

Technotiger 10:51 02 Sep 2008

With camera connected via USB, it should show up and be accessible in your My Computer.

Shazza1954 12:44 02 Sep 2008

Well would you believe it, I've just reinstalled the software for about at least the 10th time, done exactly the same as I have done all the other times, and suddenly it works. Weird. Anyway, thanks muchly for all the responses, nice to know someone out there in my hour of need and saving the camera from being launched out the window. Hopefully I can now take many happy vids of my lovely new grandson. Many thanks.

Technotiger 14:34 02 Sep 2008

Grreat, glad all is ok now - thanks for your feedback.

Technotiger 14:35 02 Sep 2008

PS - don't forget to Green-tick, Resolved!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?