JUST A REMINDER

Forum Editor 10:40 07 Jun 2003

Sometimes, when you're frustrated and fed up with your computer it's tempting to express yourself in a more robust way by using a naughty little word - but with asterisks attempting to disguise them. It doesn't disguise them at all of course, we all know what the word is.

It's not necessary to do this, and we don't allow it in our forum. We've said so before, but practice is creeping back of late, so here's another reminder. We will automatically delete any thread or post that has inappropriate words - with asterisks or without.

This is not just us being old fuddy duddies - once you allow one word it's difficult to stop others, and who judges what is, or isn't appropriate? In the end the fairest way is to say that our decision - about what is or isn't appropriate in this respect - is final, and there will be no discussions.

graham√ 11:40 07 Jun 2003

Quite right, too!

Sapins 11:42 07 Jun 2003

I could not agree more. One of the big attractions of this forum is the fact that, old fashioned as I am, there is no inappropriate language and the threads can safely be read by anyone. Keep it as it is because I for one would leave immediately you let these standards slip.
Regards,
Sapins

recap 11:50 07 Jun 2003

Couldn't agree more FE.

hoverman 11:56 07 Jun 2003

With you 100% FE.

-pops- 12:38 07 Jun 2003

A person unable to express himself without swearing doesn't deserve to be heard. I agree wholeheartedly with the site philosophy.

I am not a prim old fuddy-duddy either, I can swear as well as anyone. It's just that this forum is not the place to do it.

Brian

Forum Editor 12:42 07 Jun 2003

for your support - it's good to know that you appreciate the thinking behind this policy.

Audeal 12:53 07 Jun 2003

I wish they would use this policy in other everyday things, such as TV. The language is appalling and sometimes disgusting, and quite unnecessary.

watchful 13:19 07 Jun 2003

Nice to know that this site is not going to let standards slip.

May it long continue.

keith-236785 13:27 07 Jun 2003

sorry FE for my slip of tongue, if you deleted it thats ok. even though i did apologise on the thread there was no call

once again sorry

zanwalk 14:12 07 Jun 2003

Well done FE, please keep up the excellent standards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?