Just a Query on OS

woodchip 23:12 24 Jul 2009

How many of you are still Using Win98se. and how do you find it?????

Stuartli 23:52 24 Jul 2009

There are enough problems in life without adding to them unnecessarily...:-)

Thank goodness for XP.

rdave13 23:59 24 Jul 2009

We still use Win98se at work but only for printing labels.

crosstrainer 00:54 25 Jul 2009

Still have a couple of friends that use it, but they are not online. Still have 3 copies too! Free to anyone who wants them (yellow envelope)

As far as it went, It wasn't bad, and I suppose if it does what you want it to do, then why change? Support of course is iffy to say the least, but if you are not connected to the Internet, and don't play games etc. Fine :))

tiscalitrev 09:08 25 Jul 2009

Put Win 98 on a computer for my grandaughter about 7 years ago, she is still using it.
Recently connected her to broadband, eventually finding a wireless card that works on 98.
But that is the problem, finding software that supports Win98. At the moment I think only Avast works, but that is being withdrawn later this year. On spyware only Super antispyware states that it works, but I have not been able to do so.
She is into Itunes, but that does not support Win98.
So general feeling is that it works OK but usage is getting very limited.

Stuartli 09:29 25 Jul 2009

Just for interest. The Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack (a labour of love by the author) updates 98SE to its final form. See:

click here

I used 98SE for many years, but spent quite a bit of time keeping it on the straight and narrow, along with the systems of several members of family and friends...:-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:01 25 Jul 2009

Deal with a few machines with it on but as they are for specific work applications new software is nver / not going to be added to them so no problems with it at all.

woodchip 14:12 25 Jul 2009

new software is nver / not going to be added to them so no problems . Now that is what I have found from paster problems, System files was changed with every bit of software added, but I have no problems with mine and got all the bits added including a Sata USB2 card etc I Use it for my Mail and surfing without ant Problems, Though I fitted a extra Drive and loaded a OEM XP home on the drive Dual booted I hardly use XP on that computer. Other main Comp I use is my XP Laptop from HP a 510 with a Centrino CPU that also as no problems. As above my problems used to come from loading all kinds of Mag discs. I do not do it now.

PS I also have the Service pack CD loaded for 98se had that on for some time. and it does most of what I want.

If I do any Video Editing I use my XP Desktop that is NTFS for file size reasons

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:26 25 Jul 2009

Running some really old machines at work everything from DOS5 through to Windows XP on the laptops.
Have a couple of "laptops" (they are bigger than my current Aldi Medion desktop) that are over 20 years old.

Problems sometimes happen when people switch off without shutting windows down or "parking the hard disks" then we get the odd corrupted windows file or MBR.
Apart from this they run all right.

wiz-king 16:58 25 Jul 2009

I have a couple of 'standby' machines using W98SE, they work OK, my printers are installed on them, I can use them on the web - slowly- 'cos of the dial-up modems.
Most importantly they have data on that I am required to keep by law for seven years - it is easier to look things up on the screen than to wade through the boxes of printouts in the loft. I have changed programs and the old database would have cost too much to convert. We looked at them a lot for the first six month but haven't had to look at them for several years now. One of the hard drives is sounding a little dry so I might have to delve into it before long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?