just installled win xp pro service pack 1

karl1483 13:06 25 Apr 2003

my god problem after problem it reset all my settings to default,managed to sort most of them out but everytime i start my computer it keeps displaying the safely remove hardware icon in my task bar,it says i need to remove my alcatel speedtouch usb ppp any ideas i have checked everything i can think of it wont go away

froggg 13:28 25 Apr 2003

I think you'll find its just to make you switch off usb devices before removing,preventing problems.mine shows modem and nostromo game pad-sort of defeats the point of usb hot plugging,doesnt it?

tartanterror 14:13 25 Apr 2003

just checked and i have exactly the same alcatel message under remove hardware tab karl.

soy 14:21 25 Apr 2003

I don't think it can be removed. Its there to help you safely remove your USB devices.

Mine has my ADSL modem and my USB zip drive. I just set mine to hide when Inactive.

The Sack 14:25 25 Apr 2003

Your computer will display the "safely remove hardware icon" as it is a feature of SP1 (PITA more like) i have mine set to always hide.

Mango Grummit 14:32 25 Apr 2003

I'm guessing that you have got a 'spare' copy from work otherwise you would have hade the Home Version. Yes/No? Or it could be that you are new to this forum.

But whichever there will still be people willing and able to advise.

Come Back -- and/or do a search and you will find an answer to your question I would think. Service Pack 1 has been out for some time and most of the probs have been covered you will find.

May take a little time and effort on your part.

karl1483 14:34 25 Apr 2003

done what was suggested and hide the icon many thanxs to all those who replied
karl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone