Just installed wireless router, but got problems

r_walsh5 08:18 06 Jun 2009

Hello, got a problem.

I'm on tiscali broadband and was supplied a modem that plugged into a USB on the back of my machine. This works fine.

I've just bought a wireless router (Belkin) - installed it - hardwired via the ADSL slot on the back of my PC. Obviously removed my old tiscali USB modem. Wireless now works fine and I can connect great,

The problem I have is that when I'm surfing and then leave the PC for a while, when I come back to it the connection seems to have dropped, no problem I figure I'll just reconnect - but when I reconnect it goes back to my old fashioned type of dial up to broadband I had before (I assume it's trying to get back to the USB/modem connection that was set up before). The router is still working fine and connected, it's like the PC has forgotten that I now surf through my LAN/ADSL connection rather than thru the old USB modem broadband connection I used to have. I attempt the dial up and it fails - so i can then no longer log in. If I restart the PC then it's all fine again.

Does any of this make sense? If not then I'll post more details. Hope you can help.

Graham. 08:36 06 Jun 2009

In Device Manager, Network Adapter, Properties, Power Management.

Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

r_walsh5 08:45 06 Jun 2009

Cheers I'll give that a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?