Just installed Office 2k,

AngeTheHippy 21:44 20 Mar 2003

It's working fine, but problem is this.....I used to use Lotus SmatSuite Millenium edition and have quite a few docs. saved to CD in the LWP format (Lotus WordPro). Problem is, MSWord cannot read these files. I have looked for viewers/converters to enable me to view these files but all to no avail. I really need to recover these files, but don't know what to do next. I really, really don't want to install Lotus again just to copy off these docs and save in word format. The reason I ditched Lotus in the first place was that it was extremely unhapy on this XP machine!
please can anyone help here?

Thanks

AngeTheHippy
x

AndySD 21:48 20 Mar 2003

Try putting the office cd in the drive and on the page that comes up install the Office Converters componant. See if this works.

AndySD 21:59 20 Mar 2003

If not go File and choose OPEN in the FILES OF TYPE box choose RECOVER TEXT FROM ANY FILE.

DieSse 22:03 20 Mar 2003

You could try opening them with the "Recover Text from any File" option.

Otherwise, when I did this conversion, I used Lotus to convert to Word Pefect - then imported the Word Pefect files into Word. Amazingly it preserved the layout, graphics and eveything - took a few experiments, but worked perfectly (!) in the end.

mol01 22:08 20 Mar 2003

I think that you might have to reinstall Wordpro and save as Word, a pain as u say but there appears to be no convertor for this kind of job. One alternative is to install the "recover text from any file" converter and use this but you'll loose formatting probably. These are other converters alonth this line that come with Word, See which is best.

Or you can try the converter click here

but I haven't tried it

AngeTheHippy 22:45 20 Mar 2003

tried 'recover text from any file'...oh it reads it all right, but the FORMATTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolute nightmare! Take me days to reformat the bally thing!

mol01, as for the little prog. you suggested, nahhh, doesn't work either. Oh sod it, I'll have to install Lotus and retrieve them that way.

Thanks anyway,

AngeTheHippy
x

Brian-336451 02:26 21 Mar 2003

You could save all word processing files in RTF format then just about any wp program will read them.

Looking at retreating horse's bottom whilst bolting stable door!! :)

AngeTheHippy 09:39 21 Mar 2003

oooh, you are awful.....but I LIKE you....shame you're not THAT Brian May though.... 8-D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017