Just installed Office 2007 - In shock!!+

xania 15:06 15 Apr 2008

I've just installed my copy of Office 2007. What a difference, but I'm not sure why. Where is the ability to control tool bars; how do I set up my file locations; what's happened to the shortcut bar? And that just for starters. Clearly there's some great masterplan that we mere mortals just don't understand - or at least not this one. Perhaps is some mystic way of trying to get me to go Vista.

OK - I've got that off my chest, but thinking practically, is there some guidance to help understand where all we used to use can now be found? A manual, a help desk. Or do I simply have to go back to school?

Gordon999 15:09 15 Apr 2008

Hi,

I know what you mean. I'm still finding my away around it.

Have a look at this to see if it's any help?

click here

Gordon999 15:11 15 Apr 2008

Here's one for word.

click here

xania 15:13 15 Apr 2008

This looks very helpful - but there's worse to come. The install appears to have deleted Outlook Express, and, no doubt, all my folders and address book. Where's that gone to, and how do I get it back?

VoG II 15:13 15 Apr 2008

For Excel click here

Gordon999 15:20 15 Apr 2008

Express will still be there (or should be) have a look in your programs folder as far as I'm aware they are different programs so office shouldn't have done any thing with it.

If you won't to use outlook as your default mail client your should be able to transfer the settings including your address book across.

Gordon999 15:22 15 Apr 2008

Here you go for that.

click here

xania 15:32 15 Apr 2008

Gordon999 - thanks. I thought it should still be there, and in my panic missed the one location where it still remained. The installation did removed ALL my shortcuts, and that's what got me going. OK one panic over - I'll now spend the rest of this week coming to terms with my new Office.

Others - thanks for this - I really need Word & Excel quickly so I'll go through the links and see what's what.

DieSse 16:21 15 Apr 2008

And to think - you could have gotten Open Office for free.

:O(

xania 23:26 15 Apr 2008

One last point - any idea what happened to the short-cut bar. I really liked that!

Migwell 00:25 16 Apr 2008

After three months of frustration and pulling out hair, I took it (office 2007) out and went back to office 2003. It's far easier to use. After all it took all those years and upgrades to learn the format of the menu system. Now it's all gone to waste if you want to go with Office 2007.

When I think of all the over sized bloat wear programs that Microsoft produce, I can't help wonder why they didn't make Office 2007 a little bigger still and give us alternate type tools bars so we could choose between 2003 style and 2007 style. Now that would have been a worth while thing to do!!! but there again who would expect Microsoft to do anything worth while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires