Just how secure are password managers?

Phrixos 21:39 13 Feb 2009

I am reluctant to use a password manager for the fear inherent in the old adage, "Never put all your eggs in one basket." Other than that, my question in the title says it all.

Anyone know the answer?

rdave13 21:54 13 Feb 2009

Don't use them as I think they are unsafe. I never 'save ' passwords in my browser and after a time you will remember them all.
Paper notebook and you are as secure as anything.
Just encrypt your notes, easily done.

AL47 22:03 13 Feb 2009

i use firefoxes password thing only for forums

i dont remember passwords to bank/paypal/ebay/shops etc

Phrixos 22:37 13 Feb 2009

As I suspect. I usually remember the really important ones--two or three. As for the myriad and ever-increasing others. I've no hope of remembering those. Will wait and see other input. Maybe someone has expert knowledge on this.

Wak 10:16 14 Feb 2009

I use a cheap note-book with the pages made alphabetical (like an Address book). All sites, etc. are then easy and quick to find.

Phrixos 11:26 14 Feb 2009

Yeah. The problem is, so is the notebook.

mimosa418 11:39 14 Feb 2009

This one is well encripted and secure
click here

rawprawn 11:51 14 Feb 2009

I have been using RoboForm for many years, no problems
click here

DippyGirl 12:20 14 Feb 2009

I use this click here - similar functionality to RoboForm. Still dont save anything more than Forum/email/web logon details ie no financials.

Phrixos 14:12 14 Feb 2009

Thanks for all the input--all good advice. Still, the reason I posted the question is to find out if anyone could answer the question as it was put, and to repeat it, "Just how secure ARE password managers?"

In some sense, I have my answer. Nobody seems to know--hence the general consensus: trust them only so far as you are prepared to loose. Nevertheless, I'll leave this thread dangling, just in case there is a Bitmaster out there who has done some serious research on it.

rawprawn 10:49 15 Feb 2009

It all depends on how good your master password is, however I don't really think that any Hacker worth his/her salt is going to take the time and effort trying to hack into your private computer to gain access to your passwords.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?