Just got my 1st laptop, battery help

BBez 19:00 15 Feb 2008

Hi all, just got a laptop today and have a general question. I have installed the battery, connected the power lead and am just running it in place of my desktop.

I noticed an earlier post that you can run them without the battery and just from the AC power cord.

Will the battery get damaged if it is in the laptop after it has reached 100% charge and still connected to the AC cord.

I won't be mobile with the laptop, it is just a desktop replacement which takes up less room.

thanks in advance

wjrt 19:14 15 Feb 2008

the charger will cut out when fully charged and the laptop will effectively be on mains power. what I would do would be to run the laptop on battery when it is fully charged to about 30% capacity then fully charge on mains again and then repeat this procedure to condition the battery and then as you are not going portable I would disconnect the battery and store in as cool a place as possible. then roughly monthly replace the battery and run down to 30% again recharge and keep following this procedure.

Al94 19:27 15 Feb 2008

The battery in my Dell Inspiron had been in it for nearly two years and still as good as new, I let it run down and recharge periodically. Dell dont recommend removing it and anyway, it has one of the 4 rubber feet on the base on the battery pack!

tullie 19:41 15 Feb 2008

I have also had my battery inserted for about 2yrs

BBez 09:01 16 Feb 2008

thanks for the info guys, i was advised by the recovery disc creation wizard to check sony's website for updates before creating the restore discs and noticed the price of a replacement battery (£220), didn't want to cause excessive wear to it.

palinka 16:51 16 Feb 2008

Avoid running on mains power while the battery is still installed - that causes "trickle charging" which causes early death to the battery(ie . it will eventually work for only a few minutes).Follow wjrt's advice if you want long battery life.
Like you, I seldom need the battery facility and so run mine on mains with the battery removed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?