Just checking PC design is sound+vista question

LucasJB 10:45 15 Oct 2007

Hello all, I posted a while ago about trying to find a gaming pc. I've now decided I will go ahead and buy pieces seperate, but I'm not the chap who's building it as im clumsy and nooby :) I have 3 friends willing to build it and have built several PC's before.

The spec is:

Geil Ultra DDR2 2.0GB PC6400 Dual Channel memory kit (2 x 1GB) 800MHz (4-4-4-12) +Aluminium heat spreader

Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSB LGA775 4MB cache Retail inc.Fan (3yr Manufacturers Warranty)

Lite-on LH-20A1S-11C SATA Retail 20x DL DVD +/-R/RW RAM Black/silver beige bezels

Coolermaster eXtreme Power 650W PSU ATX Form Factor RP-650-PCAP

Asus Motherboard P5K-E/WIFI-AP Intel P35 LGA775 Core2 Quad / Core2 Extreme / Core2 Duo PCI-E DDR2 ATX

BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC2 768MB DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI

500GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA II 300 7200rpm 16MB cache Hard Disk Drive

Ok. A few things. Theres no speakers (still searching on some 2.1's, undecided, but thats not an important spec) Cases are either going to be:

click here(6706)ThermalTake-Tsunami-Black-Aluminum-VA3000BWA.aspx

OR

click here(17317)ThermalTake-Kandalf-VA9003BWS-Black-super.aspx

(might be going overboard there with the fans and the price, thats what im wondering...)

So thats the PC. But I now have a question of 32 bit or 64 bit Vista. I'm choosing Vista because I want to make full use off my dx10 card, and I'm planning on upgrading to 4GB of RAM either straight away or just order 4GB instead of 2GB. I've heard problems with 64 bit. I'm a gamer, so I'd like to know which OS most games will support and is worth buying. I was thinking 32bit Vista but I'm still unsure if it accepts 4GB? Another query I have is that with my motherboard, how many slots does it have for RAM? Its spec says it accepts 8GB max, so I'm assuming it has 4 slots.

I'm ordering this off Microdirect, and possibly dabs for the videocard, seeing as its out of stock and im being impatient :)

Any help on my querys above would be apreciated, and any info on if theres any clashes with my hardware spec, i just need to know thats a sound design too which wont go to shiz.

Ashrich 11:34 16 Oct 2007

Spec looks good , memory is enough , 4gb in Vista 32bit will only show 3gb due to restrictions but that is no worry , get the 32bit version anyway as the hardware requirements for 64bit are horrendous ( all MUST have the Microsoft Designated drivers or won't work at all ) and games aren't really written to run on 64 bit as well . Motherboard has 4 memory slots , ..click here for the full spec. I thought about DDR1066 memory , but the web site says although it can support it , they will probably be dead picky over which modules it likes . You might think about having a slightly cheaper case and getting a bigger power supply in case you wish to add a second graphics card in the future , two cards would eat a 650w psu for breakfast .

Ashley

LucasJB 22:52 17 Oct 2007

cheers mate. think thats cleared up the tricky choosing of 32 bit or 64 bit. not sure what it means on that link with the

"* The chipset officially supports the memory frequency up to DDR2 800MHz. Tuned by ASUS Super Memspeed Technology, this motherboard natively supports up to DDR2 1066MHz
Please refer to click here or user manual for Memory QVL."

so long as that motherboard is both stable for my design and futureproof to some extent. just dont really want to have to buy a new MoBo in future if i want to upgrade.

I've also found out from a friend i now have to be careful of the PSU, as having 5 fans aparently i need certain amount of pins to connect it too. i was also wondering if the 5 fans added on top of the graphics card PSU requirment of which i believe is 450W.

Regards,

Lucas

Ashrich 23:09 18 Oct 2007

Don't think the fans would add too much draw on the PSU , I just thought that a more powerful one would always be better than the one you were looking at , as I said , if you ever wanted to add another graphics card at any time as it is an SLI board , you would have to change the PSU so you might as well have a better one now , it always pays to have too much rather than enough or too little .

Ashley

Totally-braindead 23:13 18 Oct 2007

Have to agree with Ashrich, When I built my PC last Xmas I got a 480 watt power supply, a branded one. Things have kind of moved on a bit and now I would be looking for a minimum 550 watt one and it would have to be a branded one IE a well known make.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone