Jumpy TV with Windows Media Centre

ElephantRhino 16:57 17 Feb 2006

I have a new PC using Windows Media Centre with a PCI Digital TV tuner. Having configured the service and initially thinking "wow-what a fantastic picture", I then realising that the continuity is appalling - most of the time, but not always.

I also don't have all the available channels - out of the 64 listed on the Freeview site, I have 31.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:13 17 Feb 2006

I then realising that the continuity is appalling - most of the time, but not always.

usually down to signal strength, baad aerial, along way from transmitter, weather conditions.

I also don't have all the available channels - out of the 64 listed on the Freeview site, I have 31.

31 TV channels is about right, the others are radio channels.

ElephantRhino 17:52 17 Feb 2006

Re signal strength, I've tried the various transmitters provided for my postcode and some give 33 channels but otherwise all same.

The number of channels includes radio, e.g. no ITV channels, Channel 4 or 5 are available!

There is a DECT base transmitter nearby - could this be interfering?

Fingees 18:44 17 Feb 2006

Make sure wen you initially tune or search for programs, tht you do it during the hours the stations are transmitting, otherwise they will not register..
Unlike set top tuners, PCI do not go by what transmitter the signal is coming from.

It has to actually receive the signal during tranmitting hours to initially accept it.

For instance BBC CCTV brodcasts when BBC 3 & 4 don't,

so you will only inoitially see what is broadcast at the time you first search to tune your TV card.

ElephantRhino 11:51 23 Feb 2006

That sounded like a great idea but I've now tried scanning at different times of day and it hasn't found any more channels?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?