Jumping front panel switch

Space Aware 01:24 22 Aug 2006

Can someone tell me how to jump the pins on the mb where the plug for the front power switch goes? I wanna find out if my mb is fried, or the front switch isnt working?

DieSse 01:51 22 Aug 2006

You don't jumper it - it's a momentary contact arrangement.

You just have to short the two pins together for a moment.

I have never seen a faulty front panel switch (not to say it's impossible though). I've seen lots of faulty motherboards and PSUs.

There are other things though, that can stop your system from switching on - have you been through a full chain of things?

Space Aware 01:56 22 Aug 2006

Hello, thanx for the reply. I'm sure its the mb. PSU is ok, unplugged everything from the mb, including ram, drives and cards. Still no power!

User-312386 06:54 22 Aug 2006

Sounds like the PSU to me has died

Gongoozler 07:28 22 Aug 2006

Hi Space Aware. It's not at all unusual for the front panel switch to get pushed out of position on cheaper cases, but you will know if that has happened because the button will not spring back when you push it. If you can identify the power switch pins on the motherboard, simply short them together with the tip of a screwdriver, or safer than that, use the front panel reset switch as a power switch.

Space Aware 19:23 22 Aug 2006

Hi. Jumped the pins on the mb, nothing still nothing starts. Dead mb then?

Ray5776 20:19 22 Aug 2006

You posted this as resolved yesterday on your other thread. Does this mean that you had it working for a while and then it failed again or has it not worked since your original posting.

Space Aware 20:26 22 Aug 2006

Ray5776, No, never got it working, just working through trial and error. figured the psu was working with a green black jump test, (the fan starts).

So I was looking for instructions to test the power on the mb. I've tried to jump the pins where the front switch plugs in, but nothing, its still dead. Sounds like the mb is fried then?

Thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?