JPEGs as OE e-mail attachments

folaboss 15:46 30 Jan 2006

Since upgrading to XP SP2 from ME I have an irritating problem with JPEG attachments in OE. When I try to open them a dialogue box comes up saying the attachment cannot be found in Temporary Internet Files, etc. etc. although the attachment is minimised on the task bar which can then be opened by clicking on it. I suspect the path is wrong. (I'll abbreviate to Tif for convenience).I have tried to change the location of the Tifs but the same problem comes up. The only thing I can see wrong is the path order - the dialogue box says "cannot find C:\Windows\TEMP\Tif\Tif\Content.IE5\etc" whereas looking at Windows Explorer it is Windows\TEMP\Tif\Content.IE5\Tif. This last Tif comes underneath the Content.IE5 folder but is not connected to it. I cannot seem to change the order in Windows Explorer. Strangely enough other attachments open first time - Word, Excel, Gif, etc.

GrahamP 18:41 30 Jan 2006

You location does sound screwed up. In XP most temporary file folders (internet or otherwise) are located in the Documents and Settings folder under the user id.

You could try deleting the TIF folders, both levels and restart. Windows should recreate them.

If you can face it, it's better to do a clean install of XP rather than an upgrade. There are probably other problems it's carried forward you'll discover over time.

Stuartli 19:26 30 Jan 2006

Why not use XP's Search (Files and Folders) by entering the xxx.jpeg file name and finding out the path listed?

folaboss 12:54 31 Jan 2006

Replying to GrahamP,my Tifs were in Documents and Settings folder but I moved them to a new location in the hope that I might cure the problem but it didn't.

Upgrading from ME to XP was the worst thing I ever did, but it was a gift for Father's Day so what could I do? !! I agree with you, it left other problems that I have learnt to live with until I get a new PC.

GrahamP 13:29 01 Feb 2006

It's not too late to do a clean install even if your XP disc is an upgrade. It will however ask for the serial number of your old ME system. Do you still have it?

Monument 14:01 01 Feb 2006

OE6 uses the actual TIF cache folders to store temporary data as it extracts the data from the DBX file to render in the preview pane.

Outlook uses a specific cache folder outside the normal TIF.

The paths you have given are definitely incorrect. In XP each user has there own TIF in C:/Documents and Settings/%username%/Loacal Settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?