Joanne from Southend (frustrated mum)

Joanne Jerman 16:46 04 May 2017

Grateful for any replies on why my HP printer is up and running but unable to print any writing/pictures. Paper is taken through the machine with the usual whirring sounds but is just coming out as a blank piece of paper. When I check Devices and Printers on my PC, it tells me there is a problem with the hard drive and that my Video Controller doesn't have a driver. Troubleshooting says it will re-install the missing driver and then to restart the computer but this has not worked and I have tried doing this 3 times already. I have had this problem before but cant remember how I fixed it and my son needs to print out his homework for school so suggestions gratefully received. :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 04 May 2017

Make and model of PC and model of Printer Hp???

What version of windows do you have?

It sounds like you need some drivers to run the video card and printer.

morddwyd 19:49 04 May 2017

HP printers can be vert flaky, particularly if wireless. You will probably need to reinstall the software. Unfortunately a normal uninstall,reinstall usually doesn't;t work because it leaves too much dross behind.

If you have an installation disc put it in the drive without allowing it to run and using File Explorer navigate to the Utils folder and find and run the Level 4 Uninstall file.

It night also be worth using Explorer to delete ant HP files that are left.

Then do a full reinstall, preferably using the latest software.

beeuuem~2 20:55 04 May 2017

You indicate the printer was working at some point - have you tried a system restore?

If the school work recent and is on the same drive as the Operating System this will need to be saved - to a flash drive, for example - before carrying out a restore operation.

Secret-Squirrel 08:53 05 May 2017

Joanne, you first need to determine whether it's a Windows/software problem or a problem with the printer. If it's the latter then it could be something easy to fix like blocked nozzles:

From the control panel on the printer, print a nozzle check page. That should give you four patterns each in a different coloured ink. Let me know how it looks. If you don't know how to do that then let me know your printer model number and I'll give you some instructions.

Joanne Jerman 14:35 11 May 2017

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I have printed out things using my Apple Mac lap top so it is definitely a Microsoft problem. The printer is a HP Photosmart C5180 All in One (not wireless) and my computer is a Compaq Presario. I did save his homework to a memory stick and then he took that into school to print so all ok at the moment but want to try and fix the problem so going to give it a go now - fingers crossed!

BRYNIT 17:11 11 May 2017

You do not say which version of windows you are using or what program you are printing from.

If you are using Windows 10 go to start/settings/devices here you should see your printer, click on the printer and select Manage then select print a test page, does the printer print the test page if it does the problem is likely with the program you are using.

Joanne Jerman 18:31 11 May 2017

Thanks for the help but seems to be working fine now - I can't understand why as haven't really done anything different!!

wee eddie 18:39 11 May 2017

Joanne, it's called Murphy's Law. Some things are just crying out for a little attention

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires