jerky play back on cd/dvd ??

Ikelos 19:33 03 Jan 2007

Hi, dell laptop, when i put a dvd or cd in the drive, the sound or the image is all jerky, the little green light on the drive is flashing on and off very quickly, any ideas, or is it an hour on the phone to Dell..

thanks

Totally-braindead 19:35 03 Jan 2007

What software do you use to play DVDs? Have you checked if the hard drive is needing defragged?
You could try using another program at least that would tell you if it was the computer or something to do with the program you are using.

Ikelos 19:39 03 Jan 2007

hi, have tried windows media player and and the dell media centre.. both the same, as first i thought is was the sound because that was all over the place, but i have just played a track which was on the latop and that was perfect.

thanks

jack 19:39 03 Jan 2007

In addition to Braindeads response RAM Memory is a big factor here playing DVD movies smoothly takes lots- also the size of the virtual memory disk- although Windoze usually takes care of that.
So how much RAM does your machine have 512 Mb min but better with 1Gb I should imagine

Totally-braindead 19:40 03 Jan 2007

Have you tried more than one DVD? Just wondering if it could be some of the copy protection software causing it.

Stuartli 19:50 03 Jan 2007

I used to watch DVDs quite happily with PowerDVD or Windows Media Player on a 550MHz Slot1 Pentium system with RAM totalling just 256MB.

Try downloading the K-Lite standard audio and video codecs pack, which covers virtually all that are required, from:

click here

and also ensure from WMP's Tools>File Types tab that all files are Enabled, including DVD.

spacecadet 19:56 03 Jan 2007

i dont know if my problem being resolved will help,
but when running on battery jerky video,on mains smooth,it maybe specific to my laptop worth a try though

Ikelos 20:09 03 Jan 2007

hi all, just checked the ram and it is 1GB, normal CD's will not play smoothly either.just downloaded a video clip and that played fine.

thanks

Stuartli 20:10 03 Jan 2007

Could be the drive itself.

Ikelos 20:16 03 Jan 2007

oh well, get in touch with Dell in the morning.

thanks all

Newuser4165 20:20 03 Jan 2007

Your drive has probably been set in PIO mode by Windows whereas it should be in DMA.
In device manager uninstall the Secondary IDE Controller and reboot the pc.
All should then be well.

I've noticed that this problem crops up quite frequently on various forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?