Jerky graphics in driving games

Evolution 18:00 21 Apr 2003

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this strange problem.

I run a small network consisting of three AMD XP1900s, each with 1024mb ram, 60gb hard drives, Nvidia ti500s and audigy soundblasters. The os in each case is XP Home. Latest Nvidia, Creative and VIA drivers and game patches are cleanly installed in each case.

One of the machines has a paticular problem with driving games only (GP4 / Midtown Madness 2 / Colin McCrae 2 etc and that is gameplay pauses momentarily every 5 seconds or so.

This does not happen with any other game type like Unreal Tournie 2003, Black Hawk Down etc and I run these at pretty much maximum resolutions.

On the machine in question, I am using a Logitech momo force steering wheel as compared to a MS Sidewinder FF on the other two. Again the latest driver updates are installed.

Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this problem. Eg a setting on my graphics card, a hard drive issue, a setting in the bios???

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Evolution

Joe McG 18:25 21 Apr 2003

Evolution,

I had the same problem you are getting, with the same steering wheel, and a Gainward Gforce3 Ti450
card. I,m not sure what make of card you are using, but it may be a compatability issue.

I sorted mines by changing my drivers to WHQL certified, instead of Gainwards own overclocking drivers.

Don't know if this will help you much, but best of luck with your problem. Joe

A Cat Called George 19:33 21 Apr 2003

Some of your games may not be recent enough to properly support WinXP. Try using compatibility mode. Right click on the program exe file in windows explorer, click the compatibility tab and then enable compatibility mode and select Windows98/me. This has fixed problems on an old rally game of mine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?