JavaScript. How do I turn it on / enable it?

muscic lover 13:36 10 Sep 2006

Am trying to watch a bit of youtube on my mothers PC (So she can see some entries) YOUTUBE says that she must have the latest flash player installed (it is, I have done this) or that Javascript may be turned off. How do I enable Javascript so that we can see the contents of youtube.... any ideas?

Mum is running win XP and is a fairly modern laptop, with Norton Protecting in the background.

Now its over to you guys who have more knowledge than myself .... thanks in advance!

Eric10 14:03 10 Sep 2006

click here and download Sun Java Runtime Environment.

Stuartli 14:09 10 Sep 2006

Once you have installed Java it will be used automatically.

However, you shold make sure it isn't already installed.

If you have IE check first from Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab that Java (Sun) has been Enabled; if you have Firefox it's from Tools>Options>Content tab.

Coff 15:49 10 Sep 2006

The question was about enabling Javascript, not installing Java. click here for some instructions.

Stuartli 18:29 10 Sep 2006

Obviously you haven't read my posting far enough...:-)

Coff 19:00 10 Sep 2006

Well, unless part of your post is invisible, you are advising on Sun Java which is nothing to do with enabling Javascript. To enable Javascript in Internet Explorer :

Select Internet Options from the Tools menu.
Click the Security tab.
Click Custom Level in Security Level for this Zone.
Scroll down to Scripting, near the bottom of the list.
Under Active Scripting, choose Enable.
Click OK to leave Security Settings. Click OK to leave Internet Options.

Stuartli 19:09 10 Sep 2006

Oops - had seen the Java download link from Eric10 and put two and two together to get five; however, both are Sun trademark offerings.....:-)

Stuartli 19:09 10 Sep 2006

I thought Microsoft had resolved its tussle with Sun a while back?

skidzy 19:28 10 Sep 2006

Music Lover,once you have followed the above advice and if you still have no joy,you may find out you have a flash player problem.Over the last few months there has been several problems regarding flash player and this download seems to cure most problems click here

At a guess,i would expect your javascript to be enabled already,though i may be wrong.

Hope this helps.

muscic lover 21:43 10 Sep 2006

Many thanks, with your help my Mum can now watch Youtube. Thanks a lot, and hope I can do the same for the others in time to come.

Kudos to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone