Java runtime environment problems

Snrub 23:52 14 Jul 2009

I have tried to install the latest update Java Runtime Environment 6 update 14. When I download it it appears to download to the point where Windows Installer takes over and says Programme already exists. I have tried everything including removing the programme using add and remove, and revo uninstaller which is unable to remove it. I have tried the Java site uninstaller which does not remove it. Windows reports an application error occured when I try to find/open the programme.
Any ideas please on how to proceed how to remove faulty download?

Graphicool1 09:36 15 Jul 2009

Do a 'System Restore' to before you tried to update Java. Uninstall Java, install latest Java.

gigagiggles 11:40 15 Jul 2009

hello.

"When I download it it appears to download to the point where Windows Installer takes over"

do you normally allow programmes to be downloaded and executed there and then? how about just a download with installation at a later time or date?

if you don't want to get your hands dirty and pore through the registry to remove java entries, graphicool1's advice is the way to go.

Snrub 13:30 15 Jul 2009

Hi gigagiggles Windows installer comes up automatically without prompt. I dont really want to do a system restore cos its a long way back and would interfer with other downloads and updates. I think getting hands dirty through registry is the answer but not confident what to do. Have noticed a Java file in regedit with older versions and current but all have 'no value' presumably just delete the old versions and give the java 6u 14 a value? What value? Help please!

Snrub 14:36 15 Jul 2009

getting hands dirty through registry is the answer but not confident what to do. Have noticed a Java file in regedit with older versions and current but all have 'no value' presumably just delete the old versions and give the java 6u 14 a value? What value? Help please!

mfletch 14:49 15 Jul 2009

Use this to remove java then restart the computer then install the new java

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility click here

java click here

Snrub 19:03 15 Jul 2009

Thanks mfletch already done this and doesn't work.

Can someone please advise on registry fix cos tried everything else. This programme is on the computer but wont uninstall by any means including revo uninstaller and Java removal tool.

mfletch 19:16 15 Jul 2009

This may be worth a try?

JavaRa click here

gigagiggles 03:42 16 Jul 2009

hello.

have you tried to download from another site other than sun, like here, filehippo, cnet. maybe these other downloads are standalones that you can install when your patience has recovered from having been worn thin. it's also possible you have a systems setting that runs an executable after its download is completed.

another possibility is a security breach on the previous java installation, making it difficult to install over or to be removed.

as far as the gritty registry cleansing goes, back up the entire registry using tools like erunt and store it in various easy to access places. then delete every java entry you find that is not a sub-sub-subset of something not java related. reboot and see if the system is stable with normal activity that does not require java. then install the java jre standalone.

danny7 13:43 01 Sep 2009

I too need some help with Java please.I clicked on my Java update icon, and was told via a error box , " Java TM)update failed to download, installation files required". Have these files been deleted in error perhaps? and if so how do I get them back?.

Ventad 15:03 01 Sep 2009

Try going into Task Manager/processes and look for jushed.exe right click and select end process.
then try to download (the java site says jqs.exe but it is wrong you will not see it in T/M)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?