Java navigation buttons in IE6

Nicholas 20:07 11 Feb 2004

I have been trying to view a couple of web sites that I have compiled and the Java applets that I used for the buttons do not show. I have also experienced the same problem on other sites which use Java navigation buttons. I am using Internet Explorer 6. I have checked out the 2 sites on another computer also running Internet Explorer 6 and they show OK. I am sure that there is a setting somewhere to change. Can anyone help me here? Cheers, Nick

Eastender 00:27 12 Feb 2004

Have you got your Security setting 'Default Level'?

Nicholas 09:56 12 Feb 2004

Yes it is set for default

anchor 12:11 12 Feb 2004

Check this;

With IE open, select Tools, then "Internet Options" - "advanced", ensure that you have a tick against:-

"JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled"

Nicholas 13:58 12 Feb 2004

Yep that is already ticked. I did a restart just in case and it still isn't any better.
Nick

anchor 15:58 12 Feb 2004

You did not say which version of Windows you have. Win-XP does not install Microsoft virtual machine by default, (although it does come with XP-SP1).

If you should need it, download here:

click here

Nicholas 16:49 12 Feb 2004

Bingo! That did the trick. I downloaded the virtual machine and it now works fine. I'm using Windows XP home edition. It's strange though as it used to work when I first had XP. I wonder if it could be that I have updated Internet Explorer and that removed it?
Anyway, thanks for that.
Nick

anchor 09:25 13 Feb 2004

I am delighted that your problem is solved.

Suggest you tick "Resolved" to close the thread.

anchor 16:38 21 Feb 2004

It is worth adding that whilst MS included MS Virtual machine, (their version of java), in Win-XP SP1, it was removed in SP1a.

click here

To determine if you are running the Microsoft VM, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type jview and then press ENTER.

If you are not running the Microsoft VM, you receive the following error message:

'jview' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?