Java installation troubles

Gav5 20:08 18 Nov 2010

Hello folks,

I've got a problem with installing Java. It's my father-in-laws laptop (Vista 32bit / IE8). he's got all the files into a bit of a mess and i offered to help clean it up a bit.
Java downloads and installs fine (no error messages) but if i go into control panel - programmes,there's just a blank white page for the Java application. If i try to open it i get a mesage 'application not found'. There's no box option to enable in the Advanced Internet options, the add-ons are enabled in 'Manage add ons'. I've been through the Java / microsoft support pages and can't find a similar topic although have tried anything related including uninstalling, deleting the Java folders in programs & windows folders, deleted the registry entries for Java, then re-installing, enabling etc.
So far no luck - any suggestions would be much appreciated

sunnystaines 21:08 18 Nov 2010

go to add remove programs and check no prev versions showing if so delete the lot and reinstall

Gav5 12:47 23 Nov 2010

I've tried that several times - still not working. It did remove the previous versions. I re-install with no errors (installation successful) but still the symptoms as described in initial post.

northumbria61 13:37 23 Nov 2010

Are you downloading the correct version ? click here

cocteau48 13:42 23 Nov 2010

Try downloading and running JavaRa click here

Use it to remove anything left of previous versions and to download the latest version.

It may help.

northumbria61 13:48 23 Nov 2010

Anything here to help - click here

northumbria61 13:50 23 Nov 2010

Also try running the setup as Administrator

northumbria61 13:52 23 Nov 2010

Further - click here

Gav5 12:39 24 Nov 2010

Thanks Northumbria61,

I've downloaded the JavaRa and will try that later. I'll also try the steps as described in the last post. I've tried your other suggestions already.

Really appreciate your input,

I'll report back once done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?