Jargon Explained

Jai 13:46 26 Mar 2006

Just read a problem in the helproom forum & of course a highly detailed explantion on how to solve it. The next response was from a 3rd party which consisted of one word "bump". Whats that mean? My instinct tells me its sarcastic/condescending - hope I'm wrong. Is there a jargon buster about for all the stuff?

ed-0 13:55 26 Mar 2006

It is to bump or push the topic to the top of the page. Inserting anything in the text box, even a . will push or bump the topic to the top of the list so it does not go sliding to the bottom of the page or worse to the next page.

It also puts it into the posters " my postings " folder for future reference.

spuds 14:00 26 Mar 2006

When people put 'bump' or anything similar, or even >><< in a posting, then it can act for two or more reasons. (1) The person will then find the thread in their 'Your postings', for future reference. (2) This action of bumping will place the thread back into circulation, for other people to see.

There'e no harm in using this title, just friendly forum procedures.

Jai 19:53 26 Mar 2006

Thanks guys - got the gist now. Will tick resolve box. Glad to know that my instinct was off the mark - (is that good??).

ade.h 21:54 26 Mar 2006

HTH = hope that helps

LOL = lots of laughter

ROFL = rolling on floor laughing

AFAIK = as far as I know

BTW = by the way

IMO = in my opinion

IME = in my experience

And one that we should maybe start using in Speaker's Corner....

HAD = handbags at dawn (LOL)

terryf 23:48 26 Mar 2006

How about IMHO? In My Humble Opinion :-)

terryf 23:49 26 Mar 2006

Also RTFM - Read the flippin manual

ade.h 23:59 26 Mar 2006

RTFM is one of my favourites, along with PIBCAK, but it wouldn't be fair (usually) to use it in the forum!

(PIBCAK = problem is between chair and keyboard).

SG Atlantis® 19:03 27 Mar 2006

TINSTAAFL is one I didn't know when I came here, but it is...

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?