JanitaGirl 19W spam messages. Anyone help??

Hinchey 15:40 11 Mar 2003

I receive constant annoying 'Message Service'
pop-ups displaying 'JanitaGirl 19W' and the location of a web page even when I'm not signed in to my browser. This will occur only when my
ADSL modem is connected and is very annoying.
When I assumed that it must be coming from my
BT broadband service that was confirmed by BT,
yet they said that it was known to them even
though there was little anyone could do about it.
Does anyone have any more info about this,
is it malicious or invasive? And how to block it?
Look forward to your reply. Steve Hinchey.

VoG™ 15:43 11 Mar 2003
  MAJ 15:44 11 Mar 2003

You need to disable the Windows Messenger service on your computer. Instructions at this link, Hinchey. click here

conrail 17:02 11 Mar 2003

this might help, I had the same trouble in feb last and JoeC sent this and not had problems since:- It's the messaging service built into Windows which is being used by spammers.(Windows Messenger - not .Net Messenger ). To get rid of it,turn off the messaging service. Windows 2000 and XP:- Go Start > Run > type in services.msc.Double-click on Messenger and in the Messenger Properties window, select Stop, then choose Disable as the Startup Type.Click OK. Windows 95, 98, and ME:- Go to Control Panel and Add/Remove.Select Windows Setup.Select System Tools.Click Details.Uncheck WinPopUp.Click OK.

monkon 11:55 15 Mar 2003

many thanks to you all for this info. conrails method seemed to work and cured me of a vast head ache cheers

monkon 16:18 15 Mar 2003

although i stopped the message from coming up i still have the file "winmuschi" in c:/windows/winmuschi latched onto my system. no matter what i do i cant seem to get rid of it. It is being to wear a bit thin having to delete the shortcut that appears every time i start my machine up. any solutuions which fall short of chucking it out of the window!?!?

VoG™ 16:26 15 Mar 2003

Try SpyBot click here

monkon 10:07 18 Mar 2003

Vog:cheers for the help but i cant open your link!

MAJ 10:11 18 Mar 2003

Try this link, monkon. click here

MAJ 10:13 18 Mar 2003

Although, VoG™'s link is working okay for me.

Stuartli 11:40 18 Mar 2003

Interestingly, Microsoft displays this notice on its website:

"When you are connected to the Internet, a new window may open on your computer screen containing an advertisement. The windows are labeled Messenger Service in the title bar. However, these messages, which are sometimes called "messenger spam," are not related to Windows Messenger, MSN® Messenger or such instant messaging services. Disabling your instant messaging services will not stop this form of advertisement."

The page link is:

click here

KnowledgeBase features:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?