I've really messed up my laptop

kumo22 12:03 18 Nov 2008

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT THE TECHNICALITIES OF PC'S

I have a three year old Acer 4150 laptop running XP. It started switching itself off. This I now gather is due to the fans and can be recified.

Last week however it developed a new problem. I could switch the laptop on and progress through to the screen giving me the icons for the individual user accounts. When I selected an individual user it went through to that screen however there were no icons displayed. There was a message indicating that a particular browser was not active.

I took this to a local repair shop, and having been charged £40 were told that it was probably the mother board. Someone else however told me that I should re-install windows. I had never done this before but was progressing fine when the fan cut out and the laptop switched itself off, half way through the process.

Now I can't get very far at all. When I switch on I get the initial BIOS screen then this switches to a screen that amongst other things displays the following:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM

It then revrts back to the initial BIOS screen and these two just go round in a loop.

Any suggestions please as to what I may have done, or what problem I may have. I would prefer to fix this problem than buy a new laptop but will do so if necessary.

Thanks
Michael

Taff™ 13:47 18 Nov 2008

The first line suggests it can`t find the Hard Disk Drive and the second refers to a failure to find a boot sector on the LAN. (Not surprisingly!) Go into the BIOS and check to see if it can see the HDD. Try switching to Default Settings and reboot.

kumo22 14:51 18 Nov 2008

Taff Thanks.

I had tried to access the BIOS but couldn't. I think I was pressing the wrong keys. I was using either the delete key or F10 and only got a high pitch noise.

I'll try accessing the BIOS again and take it from there.

Michael

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?