I've lost firefox screen

Muergo 10:20 05 Nov 2010

XP SP3 Firefox default browser.
It appears that after an auto update I cannot get firefox to load onto the screen.
Firstly it usually auto loads after boot up, but now it won't respond to a click on any of the icons.

The whole file is there, if I right click and "Open with folder" everything appears but Firefox exe wont open or respond at all. What other of these files will bring it back onto the screen?

Using IE8 to access this site, which is not my default browser.

VoG II 10:26 05 Nov 2010

Perhaps a corrupt profile click here

Muergo 12:00 05 Nov 2010

Because I can't get secreen up I can't find a way to diable add ons, I think the one that updated last and caused the problem was AdBlock Plus, but can't find a way to bring it up do disable it.

anniesboy 12:12 05 Nov 2010

Can you open via Firefox safe mode?

Start >Firefox > safe mode ,that would open (if it does) with add ons disabled.
You might then be able to access the add ons.

Muergo 21:12 06 Nov 2010

I HAVE TRIED STARTING IN Safe Mode and it just opens up a whole new firefox connection, none of the bookmarks or any other settings retained.

I have tried System Restore and once again it does not work in Safe or regular modes, I think System Restore for me is useless, It never works when I need It.

At the moment I am using Internet Explorer and getting used to using it again, it has improved a lot so maybe I'll ditch Firefox altogether.

Running a new thread on a little problem there.

Ex plorer 22:50 06 Nov 2010

If you prefer FF why not do a new download from there site.
You will loose your Bookmarks though.

Muergo 05:59 07 Nov 2010

What is so frustrating is that it is all sitting there, clicking on "open with folder" shows all the system intact except that Firefox exe won't respond. I will review the above again and try to go the profile route but I am not sure how, I have got myself in a mindblock that can't remember how I did it last time.

I miss several of my favourite Add-ons which are not available on I.E.

Muergo 17:24 08 Nov 2010

I tried reinstalling Firefox but still ended up with later version, number 12, and this won't load on screen.

Should I totally uninstall the previous version first using Revo to clean it all out?

Muergo 17:24 08 Nov 2010

I tried reinstalling Firefox but still ended up with later version, number 12, and this won't load on screen.

Should I totally uninstall the previous version first using Revo to clean it all out?

Muergo 16:56 09 Nov 2010

Followed the instructions about creating new profile but itbehaves most peculiarly. After Run firefox -P the box to "choose user profile" appears for about two seconds before disappearing.

I have endeavoured to catch it by clicking pointer on Create Profile but it flashes onto the next screen before diappearing.

I tried every way to delete old profile and downloaded it fresh from file hippo, but it refuses to install, it just does a "repair" which is not successful.

Muergo 19:32 11 Nov 2010

I am losing out on Firefox in both ways, I cannot get rid of it completely to get a clean installation and trying all the angles above, I cannot get the Profile screen to stay on the screen to make a new one.

I now don't care if I lose the bookmarks or all the add on etc, I just want to start from scratch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?