I've got a rampant rodent.

Sapins 17:57 15 Oct 2004

My optical mouse which has behaved itself since I installed it, about 4 months ago, has now decided to move the pointer all over the screen at random and sometimes lock up, I have to wait a few seconds or move the mouse about to get it to respond.

Any help bringing this rodent to heel will be appreciated.

Noelg23 18:00 15 Oct 2004

try changing the batteries...thats if its a cordless mouse...I know thats what mine does when the batteries get low...but Rampant Rodent...haha thats one for the books...

Dorsai 18:10 15 Oct 2004

If a corded rodent, could it have a broken tail?

JonnyTub 18:30 15 Oct 2004

Have you changed the surface it's being used on?

Dorsai 18:40 15 Oct 2004

Try pressing Ctrl + Shift + Q

and see if a menu comes up for 'crazy mouse'.....

Of mahaps, a bit of detritus caught in the sensor?

Mr Mistoffelees 18:52 15 Oct 2004

My optical trackball becomes a little erratic when dust gets on to the sensor window. But rampant? No, just won't do as it's told!

Dorsai 19:02 15 Oct 2004

My rampent rodent is currently standing on top of his nest box, licking places i cant personally reach on my body, even if i wanted to.

I think he read my mind, he is now throwing food pellets at me.

stalion 19:21 15 Oct 2004

there's just no answer to this heading lol

Sapins 20:46 15 Oct 2004

Thanks all for your replies!

No batteries, corded mouse, I have cleaned the sensor window, I have used a sheet of plain paper to use it on since I installed it, no broken tail either, I don't mistreat my animals :-) BUT, I think the USB cable into the keyboard could have been a bit loose, I have a sliding shelf for the keyboard and this could possibly have loosened the cable.

I will use it for a while and see if that was the problem.

Noelg23 20:55 15 Oct 2004

not sure how the keyboard can cause the mouse to go all funny but hey whatever floats your boat go for it...personally I would change the mouse...

JonnyTub 20:55 15 Oct 2004

"a sheet of plain paper"

I think optical mice work by recognising differences in the surface they rest, plain paper wouldn't offer the differences they expect. Try using it on a bit of newspaper or something nice and colourful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)