I've forgotten my encryption number

GeeKay+Dee 22:24 08 Jun 2008

Hi

I have been trying to set up my wireless connection today and seemed to have acheived this until I set up the security side of it.

Everything seemed to be ok till I generated a code. I unfortunately didn't take a note of this and I seemed to encounter problems thereafter when trying to connect to internet.

I looked in the network tab on Vista and I can see my network there with security enabled beside it. I now cannot connect to it as I am told my settings do not match this network.

Can anybody offer any help on how to reset this problem or rectify it?

Many Thanks

Strawballs 22:39 08 Jun 2008

connect to your router with by network cable and access the setup pages, when you look in the security pages it should show the key used

GeeKay+Dee 22:49 08 Jun 2008

Hi

Should I connect the ethernet cable to the router and access the home page (192.68....)? I'm unable to do this.

Cheers

Forum Editor 22:49 08 Jun 2008

you can reset the router and start from scratch - look for a small hole somewhere on the case; it will be marked in the manual, so make sure you find the correct hole, and push a straightened paper clip into it when the router is turned on.

This will set the router back to the factory defaults, and you can begine again.

Forum Editor 22:50 08 Jun 2008

Launch your browser and enter the router's configuration page IP address, as given in the manual.

GeeKay+Dee 22:52 08 Jun 2008

I've tried to access the router homepage with the router connected, but it displays a message saying connection cannot be made. Diagnosing the problem doesn't solve either.

GeeKay+Dee 06:08 09 Jun 2008

I also forgot to mention that when I look in my connections, I can see my LAN connection and the wireless connection which has a red cross against it. Does this make any difference?

crosstrainer 07:40 09 Jun 2008

Follow the FE's suggestion and totally re-set the router.

Connect the router directly to PC via ethernet cable.

Re-set all ISP specific items.

Re-set your encyption key (make a note of it this time)

Save the settings and re-boot the router.

crosstrainer 07:45 09 Jun 2008

Then save the config file (most routers allow you to do this) to a folder or location on your hard drive.

This will enable you to quickly restore the settings if things go pear shaped again.

GeeKay+Dee 11:00 09 Jun 2008

Cheers everyone!

Will try this when I get home.

GeeKay+Dee 18:03 09 Jun 2008

Hi

tried what was suggested above, connecting the router direct to the PC, but I can't access the netgear homepage to obtain the settings as I can't get an internet connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?