ive been hacked help

new_guy 14:57 17 Jul 2003

hi there i have just had to reformat my hard drive because someone hacked in to my pc i know they did because i was looking in my pc when all on its own my computer started going mad it opened every program i have on my pc things like nero and so on and wen i tryed to check my norton internet security i couldnt get in to it the person who hacked me had changed my password in everything all i wish to know is how do i turn windows xp pro internet security on and is there any way to find out the ip of the person who hacked me so i can report him yours hopefully aaron

graham√ 15:07 17 Jul 2003

You have more likely got a virus or a trojan. Hackers generally don't bother with PCs.

King Diamond 15:08 17 Jul 2003

Control Panel - Network Connections - Right Click on the network icon, properties, advanced and check the firewall box.

For tracing try -
click here

Have you tried the Zone Alarm Pro Firewall? That has a tracer on it as well. If he has hacked you and u have Norton, then contact norton right away and report the incident.

keith-236785 15:13 17 Jul 2003

if by windows xp pro internet security you mean the Firewall,

open control panel

click network conections

right click on your internet connection

left click on Properties

left click the Advanced tab

put a tick in the top box (Internet Connection Firewall)

apply and close back to your desktop, your firewall is now on.

Good luck clearing up the mess.

may i suggest that you click here and download the 30 day trial of Anti Trojan Shield, install and run.

also get a virus checker click here for AVG antivirus (free), also consider Zone Alarm, click here for a better firewall than XPs offering (again its free)

p.s Atshield will not remove any trojans it finds, just tells you where they are.

King Diamond 15:14 17 Jul 2003

Also as Graham said, hackers have nothing to gain by hacking a home pc, so get a trojan horse remover and virus check you system.

Generally there are 3 types of hackers, ones who damage industry, ones who do it just for the fun of testing peoples security and ones who do both.

Most industrial hacking is done internally by employees or ex employees. Nothing is gained by hacking little Joe Bloggs pc in Summerset...I'm sure you get the picture.

However you can also test you firewalls online from here -
click here

and here...

click here

Although I'm suspicious of Symatecs test, because it always suggests you need there firewalls.

new_guy 15:45 17 Jul 2003

i checked for viruses with 4 programs there is nothink there and i use yahoo well i have 2 ids and one i use most got hacked in to i know this because i tryed to log it in but i couldnt so i logged in on my other id well the id wot was hacked pmed me and he said you have been hacked and jacked and that if i told any one he would do my pc to but i did report him for it because i want hin caught and not hacking any one else

new_guy 15:46 17 Jul 2003

the windows firewal is now on thanks for that people

MjM Hellfire 16:05 17 Jul 2003

Contact Yahoo as well and inform them that your account has been hacked...they might have the IP of the guy when he entered your account, but if he did it through yours, then most likely not.

woodchip 16:12 17 Jul 2003

Ether Hack or virus Trojans do not do that, I would Go for Hack

grumps2001uk 16:21 17 Jul 2003

help am i worried or not i n.a.v 2003 installed and tried King Diamond`s test and my compfailed
the test??

Belatucadrus 21:02 17 Jul 2003

grumps2001uk NAV 2003 is a good anti virus, but doesn't include the firewall you get with Norton internet security 2003. Not to worry however click here for a load of free firewalls, some of which are very good. As has been said, the chances of being hacked are very low, but this isn't a viable defence measure. Hindsight is a wonderful thing block them out before anything happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?