Iv got a virus-Please help??

buel 22:08 25 Nov 2008

Hi, my laptop will only start up in 'safe mode' and 'safe mode with networking', i am unable to install any anti-virus such as avg or adaware because when i do it says 'The system administrator has set policies to prevent this instillation', what can i do??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:00 25 Nov 2008

Is this a "works" laptop?

Terminus90 10:39 26 Nov 2008

Have you tried to do a system restore?

Terminus90 10:52 26 Nov 2008

You should be able to do this in safe mode, then if it will boot into windows you can install the virus software, or you could try deleting the administrator account(you will need to open another account first).

Fruit bat, surely if this was a works laptop, buel would give them it back, to sort out.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:13 26 Nov 2008

That's why I was asking.

There should be an administrator account to boot into in safe mode unless disabled by IT security.

Terry Brown 12:59 26 Nov 2008

Follow this link, EMSI- a2 free click here copy to CD. You should be able to run the program direct from the CD to clear any viruses etc
Terry

buel 19:16 26 Nov 2008

Hi Terry, thanks for that. In answer to the earlier answers, no it is not a works laptop im afraid. I have tried to do a system restore but the laptop wont let me. I can boot into safe mode but how do i find out which user account is the administrator account please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 26 Nov 2008

Previously had Norton on it?

click here

mfletch 19:26 26 Nov 2008

Hi

Go To this site and download Dr.Web LiveCD
click here
This is the one you need, 68,245,504

Then go to this site and download Active ISO
click here

Put them both into the same folder then double click the active ISO burner it will detect DrWeB then burn the ISO image to a CD

Insert the CD and reboot your computer then follow the instructions and scan your computer

The computer will boot and run from the CD

buel 19:09 27 Nov 2008

Hi again, justb a question- i did as you suggested and the laptop booted from the cd and the desktop that came on was very similar to a linux desktop, is this correct? then there was a Dr web window which was HUGE (bigger than the screen), What now please?

buel 20:27 27 Nov 2008

Hi again, justb a question- i did as you suggested and the laptop booted from the cd and the desktop that came on was very similar to a linux desktop, is this correct? then there was a Dr web window which was HUGE (bigger than the screen), What now please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?