iTunes removal problems

Scubaman 15:32 16 Jun 2010

Hi Folks
I tried opening iTunes today and got a message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"
I tried uninstalling iTunes as per Apple instructions but get a message "The feature you are trying to access is on a network resource that is unavailable" then another message "The installation source for this product is unavailable. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.
Any ideas houw to remove it?
Cheers

Press Man 15:41 16 Jun 2010

Try reinstalling iTunes, then remove using add/remove programs in Windows.

Scubaman 17:22 16 Jun 2010

I tried that but iTunes downloads then half installs then hangs, I left it for 2 hours!

T I M B O 18:19 16 Jun 2010

Why do u need itunes ??

gengiscant 18:56 16 Jun 2010

Try using this first, click here

Then do this lot.

Restart your computer.
After the computer restarts, open Local Disk (C:) located in Computer or whichever hard disk your programs are installed on.
Open the Program Files folder.
Right-click the iTunes folder, choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Note: This folder may have already been deleted if iTunes was successfully removed.
Right-click the iPod folder, choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
Right-click the QuickTime folder (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
Right-click the Bonjour folder (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
Open the Common Files folder.
Right-click the Apple folder (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
Open Local Disk (C:) located in Computer or whichever hard disk your operating system is installed on.
Open the Windows folder.
Open the System32 folder.
Right-click the QuickTime file (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
Right-click the QuickTimeVR file (if it exists), choose Delete, and choose Yes when asked to confirm the deletion. Click Continue if Windows needs confirmation or permission to continue.
Right-click the Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin

Then do this lot but it is wise to back up the registry first.

click Start > search > for files and folders > all files and folders > write "itune" in the upper line > pull down the slide bar and enter "more advanced options: > check the 3 top options > click search. You will most probably get a long list of files with the word itune included. Delete all of them by clicking a file with the right mouse button. Sometimes you will find files which will not delete in the first time because you have to delete some other file before. Leave them and return to them later.

Restart your PC and hopefully install itunes.

Post back.

Scubaman 12:30 17 Jun 2010

Phew, thanks Gengiscan't, all working ok now thanks.

gengiscant 12:31 17 Jun 2010

Great.I had a similar problem, so glad to have helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017