itunes question

Chris Webster 18:09 19 Apr 2009

Hi,
my mates daughter has asked me a question about her itunes music but I don't know the answer as I've never used it.

Her itunes library is on her XP desktop computer and backed up onto numerous discs.

She has just bought a Vista laptop. When she puts the itunes backup disc into her new laptop it comes up with something like 'restore from backup'. When she clicks 'yes' all her music is then transfered into her itunes library as it should do. The problem is that when she closes down the itunes programme and then reopens it her music library is empty.

Does anyone know why this is happening please?

Regards, Chris.

bionicle 19:23 19 Apr 2009

Sounds like she needs to open up i-tunes on the laptop, click edit and select preferences. Then click on the advanced tab which then has an option of where you want the i-tunes music folder to be located. Settings for this may need to be a little different from the PC. Once this is set accordingly on the laptop the i-tunes program should look there for the music files each time it is opened.

john bunyan 20:19 19 Apr 2009

You can "authorise" up to 5 computers on iTunes. I would install iTunes on the laptop . In Preferences I always set them to manually synch, rather than auto.
Then there are two ways of transferring the music, either by burning all the original stuff to a usb hard drive or DVD's then go to the new library on the laptop and "Add Folder(s) to the library" in the music bit, or if you have the tunes on the iPod and have set the prefereces as above, you can import them to the laptop, using the i Pod as a USB Hard drive.You can search for the library - it is an"iTunes library.itl" file, but this does not actually hold the tunes - these are by default in iTunes/itunes music. You may find the back up has not recognised the new PC if it is not authorised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone